Kidney Transplant Surgery
Make an appointment by phone
Make an appointment with MyChart
Book with MyChart
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
If you are a new patient and need an appointment, please contact us at the phone number below.Learn more about coming to BMC. 617.638.8430
Refer a Patient
Refer a patient
Fax referral information to 617.638.8427
Call for assistance with the referral process
The Kidney Transplant Referral Form is required for all patients prior to undergoing evaluation.
Fax: 617-638-8427Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
COVID-19 Information for Transplant Patients
For 45 years, the Kidney Transplant Program at Boston Medical Center (BMC) has provided compassionate, expert care. Our experienced transplant surgeons are supported by a multidisciplinary clinical team, devoted to improving our patients’ quality of life through organ transplantation. The transplant team carefully guides patients and loved ones every step of the way throughout the process.
Why Choose BMC’s Kidney Transplant Program?
- Unlike other transplant programs, we focus only on kidney transplantation. This means all of our team members are trained to provide you with highly specialized care.
- With more than 55 years of combined transplant experience, our accomplished kidney transplant surgeons have performed more than 1,000 kidney transplants—a number that continues to grow every year.
- Our living kidney donor program has successfully performed more than 350 living donor transplants and actively works to reduce racial disparities in living donor kidney donation.
- Our transplant nurse coordinators have a combined 40 years of experience. They will be with you every step of the way to guide you through any clinical or social situation.
- In addition to your transplant surgeon and transplant nurse coordinator, your care team includes a transplant pharmacist, a transplant social worker, and a transplant dietician. Your team will give you all the tools and education you need to manage the transplant process, both before and after surgery.
- Our financial services team works closely with you and your family to maximize insurance coverage for your kidney transplant and to make sure you fully understand the financial aspects of the transplant process.
- Our patients come from a wide range of backgrounds. Our diverse, multilingual staff is on hand to support all of them.
- The BMC Kidney Transplant Program follows all transplanted patients for life–with frequent blood draws, testing, and follow-up visits.
- BMC maintains strong relationships with local dialysis centers and nephrologists to ensure we receive all of the necessary information to provide the best possible outcomes for our patients.
- Our team is fully committed to providing every patient with exceptional care, without exception.
- As the #1 most racially inclusive hospital in Massachusetts, we are proud to be recognized for our commitment to serving the people of color in our community.
Interested in becoming a kidney donor?
Take the first step by filling out the Living Kidney Donor Questionnaire.
7th Floor, Suite 7A
Shapiro Center 617.638.8430
Become A Kidney Donor
Living Kidney Donation Program
Contact Kidney Transplant Surgery
Kidney Transplant Surgeons
Jeffrey Cooper, MD
Living donor transplantation
Sayeed K Malek, MBBS
Sarah Meade, DO
Stefan G Tullius, MD
Kidney Transplant Nephrologists
Jean M Francis, MD
Kidney transplantation, thrombotic microangiopathy (TMA)
Sandeep Ghai, MD
Kidney Transplant Donor Surgeon
David S Wang, MD
Kidney stones, urinary tract stones and tumors, endoscopic and minimally invasive urologic surgery
Organ Transplant Psychiatrist
Barbara J Horner, MD
Consultation- Liaison psychiatry, OB(Women’s health), Renal patients and Transplantation psychiatry
Kidney Transplant Coordinators
Karen A Curreri, RN, CCTC
Renal Transplant, Living Donation
Vladimir Doxy, RN
Renal Transplant and Hemodialysis
Serita Hernandez, RN, CNN, CCTC
Transplant Surgery, Nephrology Nursing
Anne M Hutchinson, RN
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
Patient Education & Resources
Living Donor Evaluation Process
Living Donor Forms and Donor Advocate Information
Kidney Transplant Patient Education
FAQs for Living Kidney Donors
Organ Transplant Patient Stories
Mary Jane and Michelle
Ferdison and Melissa
Questions and Prayers Answered
Patience and Positivity
Barbara and Lisa
Cops and partners — a kidney donation made them something else: bonded for life
Two local cops who once worked together became a team again when Peter Petrides donated his kidney to Mark Kalinowski. They share their incredible story of organ donation with The Boston Globe.
Why Minority Organ Donors Matter
August is National Minority Donor Awareness Month, a time dedicated to promoting organ and tissue donation and bridging the gaps between donations and need in minority populations.
Latest from HealthCity
Why Is There a Gap in Kidney Donation Among People of Color?
Black Americans make up the largest group in need of organ transplants but only 8% of living kidney donors.
Reducing Racial Disparities in Living Donor Kidney Donation
How BMC is addressing the gap of living donor kidney transplantation amongst Black Americans.
HealthCity is Boston Medical Center's online publication that explores the most pressing issues in healthcare. At HealthCity, we believe that healthcare must transform itself to become more equitable, sustainable, and open source.