Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
The Anatomic Pathology department serves all patients who undergo surgery or a procedure, regardless of age or medical insurance status, which results in the removal of tissue. All physicians and services that generate these specimens are also considered the department's customers. The department also manages the hospital's Decedent Affairs Office which cares for deceased patients, their families and serves area funeral directors and related governmental agencies.
Monday-Friday 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM please call 617.638.6990 or the Pathology Laboratory at 617.638.6994
Administrative leadership is always available on call at pager 617.638.5795 #1027 or #3550
Frozen Section Service (intraoperative consult)
Monday-Friday 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM: Please page 617.638.5795 #3800 or Call 617.638.6990 and ask for the pathology resident to be paged.
All other times please contact the staff pathologist on call at pager 617.638.5795 #0784.
A pathology administrator is always available on call at pager 617.638.5795 #1027.
Dermatopathology (associated with BU Skin Pathology)
GI & Liver
Muscle & Peripheral Nerve Pathology
24/7/365 staffing 617-414-4054
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM 617-638-7800
Administrative leadership is always available on call at pager 617-638-5795 #1027 or #6650
Laboratory Medicine resident on call 617-638-5795 #4564
The Department of Laboratory Medicine at BMC is part of the Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. The Department is responsible for:
- all clinical laboratory testing throughout BMC,
- assuring appropriate test reliability,
- specimen collection,
- reference laboratory referrals,
- result reporting,
- laboratory information systems,
- oversight for point-of-care testing.
The Department is divided into multiple sections each with its own medical director and technical supervisor. Check each section for specific information on testing, policies, and reference information.
Laboratory Medicine Resident on call pager: 4564
Abbreviated Phone List (see Phone Directory for full list)
|Main Lab, 670 Albany Lab||4-4060|
|Main Lab Blood Bank||8-7844|
|Menino Blood Bank||4-4141|
|Menino Blood Gas Lab||4-4067|
Hours of Operation
STAT Testing: 24/7
STAT turnaround time is one hour or less from time of receipt in the Laboratory.
The schedule varies with the complexity and frequency of non-STAT testing. Routine turnaround time is six hours or less from time of receipt in the Laboratory.
Patient Fact Sheets for Laboratory EUA Testing
- Abbott IgG SARS CoV2 COVID 19 Antibody Patient Fact Sheet
- Abbott RealTime SARS-CoV-2 Assay
- BiofireDx RP21 SARS CoV2 COVID 19 PCR Patient Fact Sheet
- Cepheid Xpert SARS CoV2 COVID 19 PCR Patient Fact Sheet
- Cobas Liat SARS-CoV--2 (COVID-19)/Influenza AB, PCR(POCT) Fact Sheet
- Diasorin Simplexa SARS CoV2 COVID 19 PCR Patient Fact Sheet
- Euroimmun ELISA IgG SARS CoV2 COVID 19 Antibody Patient Fact Sheet
- Genetic Signatures EasyScreen™ SARS-CoV-2 Assay
- Hologic Aptima SARS CoV2 COVID 19 PCR Patient Fact Sheet
- RMS Cobas SARS CoV2 COVID 19 PCR Patient Fact Sheet
- BMC CReM COVID-19 RT-PCR
- Quidel QuickVue SARS Antigen Test, POCT Patient Fact Sheet