|Author: Chop Chop Family||Recipe Type: Lunch / Dinner | Cuisine: Mexican||Serves: 8|
|Total Time: 60 | Prep Time: 20 | Cook Time: 40|
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), cored, seeds and white ribs removed, and cubed
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini, trimmed and cubed
- 2 tsp to 2 tbsp chili powder (depending on how mild or spicy you like it)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 (15 ounce) can low-sodium small white-beans (such as navy or Great Northern), drained and rinsed
- 2-4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock (depending on whether you like it thicker or soupier)
- 2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken, from a rotisserie chicken or home-cooked
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- Put the pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When the pot is hot, add the oil.
- Add the onion, garlic (fresh or powder), bell pepper, zucchini, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and salt and cook on low heat until the onion is very soft, about 20 minutes. Stir from time to time.
- Add the beans, stock, and chicken, cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the corn and cook until somewhat thickened, about 10 minutes. Now taste the chili. Does it need more spices? If so, add dome, then taste again.
- Garnish and serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Garnish for each serving (use any or all):
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 scallion, greens and white, chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- Wedge of lime
|Serving Size:||Calories: 203|