You are here
Barley and Parmesan Risotto
| BMC's Teaching Kitchen Author:
||Recipe Type: Entrée | Cuisine: Italian
|| 4 Serves:
|50 | Total Time: Prep Time: 10 | Cook Time: 40
- 3-4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup finely diced shallots or onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup pearled barley
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a small sauce pot, heat the chicken stock until it simmers, turn down heat and keep warm.
- In a medium sauce pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, garlic and thyme until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add the barley and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the warm stock and cook, stirring, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the stock 1/2 cup at a time and stirring until it is nearly absorbed between additions.
- The risotto is done when the barley is tender and a creamy sauce forms, about 40 minutes. Stir in the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
|Serving Size: 1 cup