Healthy Start Program
About the Program
The Healthy Start Program provides health insurance to low-income, uninsured pregnant women in order to improve access to early, comprehensive, and continuous prenatal care to improve the health of newborns and their mothers.
Healthy Start is for low-income, uninsured pregnant women who are also eligible for MassHealth Limited. Family-group income must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty level.
The Healthy Start Program provides coverage for the following pregnancy-related services:
- Pregnancy-related primary and specialty care
- Outpatient mental health, up to 10 visits per pregnancy
- Pregnancy-related radiology and laboratory services
- Prescribed durable medical equipment, up to $300 per pregnancy
- Home nursing postpartum visits (limited to two visits for pregnancies without complications and limited to five visits for pregnancies with complications or C-sections)
- Office visits, including family planning
- Postpartum obstetric and gynecological care
- Newborn hospital and outpatient care including one postpartum pediatric ambulatory visit
Healthy Start benefit limitations are based on a pregnancy basis, rather than a fiscal-year or lifetime basis. If you become pregnant again, and are eligible for the Healthy Start Program, you are eligible for these benefits again.
Individuals enrolled in Healthy Start are also eligible for MassHealth Limited, which covers emergency services including inpatient labor and delivery and emergency transportation. In addition, Healthy Start members are eligible for the Uncompensated Care Pool, which covers some other medically necessary services.
Newborns born to mothers enrolled in Healthy Start and MassHealth Limited will receive MassHealth Standard benefits starting at birth through the first year of life.
You may be eligible for Healthy Start if you are:
- A pregnant woman, and
- Not eligible for MassHealth (except MassHealth Limited), and
- Have family-group income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level
Call MassHealth Customer Service at 800-841-2900 or 800-497-4648 (TTY) to request a Medical Benefit Request (MBR), or click to download a Medical Benefit Request:
Submit the completed application to:
MassHealth Enrollment Center
Central Processing Unit
P.O. Box 290794
Charlestown, MA 02129-0214
Healthy Start Program Customer Service: 888-488-9161
MassHealth Customer Service: 800-841-2900 or 800-497-4648 (TTY)
Healthy Start Program Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5 PM
MassHealth Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM