Massachusetts Community Engagement Alliance (Massachusetts CEAL)
The Massachusetts Community Engagement Alliance (MA-CEAL) Against COVID-19 Disparities, led by Boston Medical Center, is part of a nationwide initiative funded by the National Institutes of Health. Our work includes providing education to our community members and leaders to address misinformation gaps and mistrust around COVID-19, delivering ambassador and physician-led vaccine education, and promoting equitable access to clinical research participation.
We engage, educate, empower and protect our communities with access to COVID-19 vaccines
We promote diversity and access to clinical research to ensure tomorrow’s therapies work for all of us
MA-CEAL’s mission is to provide trustworthy information on COVID-19 through active community engagement and outreach to the people hardest-hit by the pandemic. Our goal is to build long-lasting partnerships and improve diversity and inclusion in our research response to COVID-19 and beyond.
- Conduct urgent community-engaged outreach and research around COVID-19
- Improve awareness and education to address widespread misinformation and distrust regarding COVID-19
- Promote an evidence-based response to the disease
- Promote and facilitate the inclusion of diverse racial and ethnic populations in clinical trials to ensure therapies are safe and effective for populations disproportionately affected by the pandemic
The Questions We're Asking
- How can we build our community’s confidence in the vaccine?
- How can we communicate the importance of diverse participation in clinical research?
- What are the challenges and questions that prevent vaccination and research participation?
- How can we engage and partner with our communities to find solutions?
How to Get Involved
MA-CEAL is led by BMC in partnership with Boston University, University of Massachusetts Medical School, and Northeastern University.
Restorative Justice Storytelling Circle
Serving Boston 50 years - churches, ministries, non-profits working together in our communities
Multilingual education/serving a diverse community of learner
Boston Health Equity Research Network
12 Community Health Centers partnered with BMC
Black community members, students, health professionals addressing medical racism, COVID-19, and the vaccine
Community vaccine clinics within Boston’s most vulnerable communities
- Benjamin Linas, MD, MPH
Principal Investigator, Administrative and Community Engagement Cores Director
- Sabrina Assoumou, MD, MPH
- Cynthia Delmas
- Mari-Lynn Drainoni, M. Ed, Ph.D.
Co-Investigator, Qualitative Core Director
- Mara Epstein, ScD, ScM
- Kimberly Fisher, MD
Co-Investigator, Quantitative Core Director
- Katherine Gergen Barnett, MD
- Natalie Joseph, MD
- Stephanie Lorfils, MBA
Community Engagement Specialist
- Petrina Martin-Cherry, MBA
BMC Vice President of Community Engagement and External Affairs
- Kathleen Mazor, EdD
- Michael Paasche-Orlow, MD
- Rebecca Perkins, MD
- Cassandra Pierre, MD, MPH
- Elizabeth Ragan, MPH
- Ryan Schroeder
BMC Clinical Research Network Director
- Autumn Tamlyn
- Maria Tjilos
- Selene Vences-Ortiz
- Allan Walkey, MD
- Hope White
CEAL is a nationwide initiative led by the National Institutes of Health with centers across the country. Learn more about the NIH Community Engagement Alliance (CEAL)