- 4 teaspoons olive, canola, avocado, peanut or sesame oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey, 97% lean ground beef, or ground chicken
- 1 pound (16 ounces) whole wheat pasta, cooked according to box instructions.
- 60 ounces (low sodium, if possible)
- 14 ounces canned carrots, strained and rinsed (or other canned, non-starchy vegetable like green beans or artichoke hearts)
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, strained and broken into pieces
- to taste
- to taste
- 1 (14-ounce) can, strained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can kidney beans, strained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons chili seasoning mix (low sodium if possible)
- low-fat shredded parmesan cheese, lime wedge, chopped scallions, cilantro, crushed tortilla chips (all optional)
Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground meat, and cook while breaking up into small pieces, until browned.
Add tomato sauce and canned vegetables, and pepper to taste. Cook until heated through and simmering, about 5 minutes.
Pour half sauce over mix, and serve. Reserve the rest of the sauce for chili.
To make chili, add corn, beans, and chili seasoning to the remaining sauce. Enjoy sprinkled with low-fat parmesan cheese or other topping(s) of choice (optional).
Using a low-sodium tomato sauce helps you keep the sodium levels low in this meal. If you cannot find a low-sodium sauce, then do not add salt -to-taste to the recipe.
Rinse canned vegetable (carrots or other vegetable) before using to remove excess salt. Use a low-sodium canned vegetable if possible.
Nutrition facts presented are for 1 serving of pasta with meat sauce, using low-sodium sauce and 97% lean ground beef.