Baked Chinese New Year Sweet Nian Gao
|Author: BMC Teaching Kitchen||Recipe Type: Dessert | Cuisine: Asian||Serves: 12|
|Total Time: 30 | Prep Time: 10 | Cook Time: 20|
- Butter, unsalted – 2 tablespoons
- Eggs – 2 large
- Canned Coconut milk, unsweetened – 1½ cups
- Glutinous rice flour – 1½ cups
- Sugar, granulated – 1 cup (*can use sugar substitute if desired, see below)
- Salt – ⅛ teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a cupcake tin with nonstick spray.
- Melt butter and add to a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and coconut milk. Whisk until mixed.
- In a separate bowl, add the rice flour, sugar, and salt and mix to combine. Make a well* in the center and pour in the wet ingredients while mixing with a spatula until you get a smooth runny batter.
- Divide the batter evenly into the 12 cupcake cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm.
- Top with sweet red bean paste or another red topping of your choice to celebrate!
*Sugar substitutes are a good alternative to regular sugar if you are working to manage your blood sugar or want to reduce calories or carbohydrates. We like using monk fruit sweetener, erythritol, or stevia.
*To make a well, use your hands or a spoon to make an indentation in the shape of a small bowl shape in the center of your dry mixture. You will then pour the wet mixture into this well.
|Serving Size: 1 cake||Calories: 193|