What is Lupus?
Lupus is a complex autoimmune disorder where the body’s cells are attacked by one’s own immune system. This leads to inflammation and damage to various body tissues. Lupus can affect many parts of the body including the joints, kidneys, skin, heart, lungs, blood vessels, and brain. The organs that are affected are different for every person.
There are several types of lupus:
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE): lupus that affects multiple tissues and organs
- Cutaneous (skin) lupus including Discoid Lupus Erythematosus (DLE) and subacute cutaneous lupus
- Lupus kidney disease also known as Lupus Nephritis
At present, there is no cure for lupus. However, it can be effectively managed and most people with lupus can lead an active and healthy life.
The Lupus Clinic at Boston Medical Center
- The Lupus Clinic at Boston Medical Center is a partnership between the Departments of Rheumatology, Dermatology, Nephrology, and Obstetrics/Gynecology. Our specialists in these departments have experience caring for hundreds of patients with chronic autoimmune diseases, including lupus. In the Lupus Clinic, patients can be seen by multiple physicians on the same day for convenient and comprehensive care. In addition, many of our physicians conduct research to better understand the development and treatment of lupus. This includes clinical trials and an autoimmune disease patient registry.
- We have a monthly lupus meeting where researchers, physicians, and patient care providers meet to discuss research breakthroughs, new therapies, and how to improve the patient experience.
- BMC’s lupus patient population is diverse. We strive to provide exceptional care to all patients - without exception.
Please contact the patient navigator, Supraja Narasimhan at 617.638.1831 to refer a patient.
Referrals can also be faxed to 617.638.7454. On the cover letter, please specify “Lupus Clinic at BMC” and “Attention: Supraja Narasimhan.”
Lupus Foundation of America Walk
Join the BMC team for the annual Lupus Foundation of America walk to raise money for lupus research and awareness!
Sunday, October 22, 2017
Boston Common Parkman-Bandstand
145 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02108
- Check-in: 9:30 a.m.
- Ceremony: 10:30 a.m.
- Walk: 11:00 a.m.
- Route Length: 1 mile
See lupus.org for more details