Treatments for Pediatric Rheumatology
At Boston Medical Center we offer numerous complementary and alternative treatments for pain and fatigue related to pediatric rheumatology. Some of these treatments are described below:
Complementary and alternative treatments
- for pain and fatigue
Medications and infusions
- to treat arthritis, lupus and other autoimmune conditions
Trigger point injections for neck, shoulder and back pain
- Trigger point injections are a safe and very effective remedy for painful muscles around the neck, shoulders, and back. A small needle is inserted into the muscle and releases the "knot," an action which usually leads to lasting relief for up to 2 months. It can be thought of as a very strong massage.
Ultrasound-guided steroid injections for painful or swollen joints:
- For conditions such as arthritis, sometimes steroid injections are required to relieve pain and swelling in a joint. Dr. Cohen is formally certified in musculoskeletal ultrasound, which reduces the pain of joint injections and increases their safety and effectiveness.
Holistic care and complementary therapies
- To improve function and a child's sense of well-being: We take a great interest in the overall wellbeing of our patients, and Dr. Cohen has special training in mindfulness meditation. In addition, he emphasizes the importance of diet and nutritional supplements.
- INTERX® is a non-invasive treatment that can be used to relieve pain and restore function in many areas of the body. INTERX® is a safe, drug-free technology that delivers targeted stimulation to an affected area. The virtually painless treatment gives off a comfortable stimulation to help release endorphins and dynorphins. The result? Natural pain relief and accelerated recovery. There are currently no known side effects related to INTERX®, and in addition to pain relief, patients often report of improved sleep, gut health, mental clarity, mood, and energy.
Read more about our Pediatric Rheumatology conditions that we treat.