In 2015, five landmark trials demonstrated the benefit of opening large vessel occlusion strokes in select patients suffering a stroke within an 8 hour time window. In 2017, the DAWN trial demonstrated benefit of extending this window out to select patients presenting with wake –up strokes or unwitnessed onset stroke up to a 24 hour window.
At Boston Medical Center, our Neuroendovascular and Stroke teams are committed to providing rapid, safe and effective treatment of these patients 24/7/365. We value our partnerships with our EMS, ER, Neurology and Hospitalist colleagues at Primary Stroke Centers in identifying these patients early and providing streamlined care of these patients.
To discuss building interfacility protocol and transfer of these patients, please contact: Thanh Nguyen at [email protected]
To refer a patient, please call our Acute Stroke Hotline:
- Nogueira RG, Jadhav A, Haussen DC, Bonafe A, Budzik RF, ... Jovin TG et al. Thrombectomy 6 to 24 hours after Stroke with Mismatch between Deficit and Infarct. NEJM November 11, 2017.
- Albers GW, Marks MP, Kemp S, Christensen S, Tsai JP, Ortega-Gutierrez S, et al. Thrombectomy for stroke at 6 to 16 hours with selection by perfusion imaging. N Engl J Med January 24, 2018.
- Goyal M, Menon BK, van Zam WH, Dippel DW, Mitchell PJ, Demchuk AM, Davlos A, et al. HERMES Collaborators. Endovascular thrombectomy after large vessel ischemic stroke: a meta-analysis of individual patient data from five randomized trials. Lancet 2016;387:1723-1731.
- Goyal M, Demchuk AM, Menon BK et al. Randomized Assessment of Rapid Endovascular Treatment of Ischemic Stroke. N Engl J Med. February 11, 2015
- Campbell CV, Mitchell PJ, Kleinig et al. Endovascular Therapy for Ischemic Stroke with Perfusion-Imaging Selection. N Engl J Med. February 11, 2015
- Berkhemer OA, Fransen PSS, Beumer D... Dippel WJ et al. A randomized trial of intraarterial treatment for acute ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 2015;372:11-20.
- Smith EE, Hassan KA, Fang J, Selchen D, Kapral MK, Saposnik G, on behalf of the Investigators of the Registry of the Canadian Stroke Network (RCSN) for the Stroke Outcome Research Canada (SORCan) Working Group. Do all ischemic stroke subtypes benefit from organized inpatient stroke care?NEUROLOGY 2010;75:456-462
- Saver JL, Jahan R, Levy EI, Jovin TG, Baxter B, Nogueira RG, Clark W, Budzik R, Zaidat OO; SWIFT Trialists. Solitaire flow restoration device versus the Merci Retriever in patients with acute ischaemic stroke (SWIFT): a randomized, parallel-group, non-inferiority trial. Lancet 2012;380(9849):1241-9.
- Nogueira RG, Lutsep HL, Gupta R, Jovin TG, Albers GW, Walker GA, Liebeskind DS, Smith WS; TREVO 2 Trialists. Trevo versus Merci retrievers for thrombectomy revascularisation of large vessel occlusions in acute ischaemic stroke (TREVO 2): a randomized trial. Lancet 2012;380(9849):1231-40.