Welcome to the Pediatric Neurology Residency Program at Boston Medical Center, located in the historic South End of Boston. Boston Medical Center's philosophy and mission of exceptional care, without exception is reflected in the activities of the Division of Pediatric Neurology. As part of BMC's Departments of Pediatrics and Neurology, we offer our trainees a rich educational experience in a setting that provides an extraordinary exposure to pediatric neurology, with the opportunity to care for patients from diverse backgrounds.
Several components comprise a successful residency training program:
- An environment that encourages and supports the resident
- Faculty who are experienced, skilled and enthusiastic teachers
- Didactic instruction
- One-on-one teaching at the bedside
- Access to a wide variety of academic conferences of consistent excellence
- Resident research mentorship
- Cultivation of presentation and teaching skills
- Collaborative opportunities with Boston University Schools of Medicine & Public Health
All of those components are here at Boston Medical Center. Our pediatric neurology residents work alongside seasoned professionals who are committed to patient care, advancing the field of child neurology and to helping you explore your individual interests and develop your talents. The faculty has trained hundreds of pediatricians and pediatric neurologists over the past four decades; physicians who currently work as outstanding clinicians, academicians and clinical and basic research scientists.
Our rigorous training program is set in an upbeat and supportive atmosphere. You will learn how to think about clinical problems and how to practice pediatric neurology in a way that will enable you to deliver the finest of patient care; care that is always helpful and unfailingly humanistic. We are here to inspire you, to serve as your mentors and to help you develop your interests and build on your strengths.
The intimacy stemming from our medium program size allows the faculty the flexibility to mold our program to suit individual needs. We encourage residents to explore epidemiological research and specialized programs in Pediatric Sleep and Pediatric Epilepsy & electrophysiology. A distinguishing feature of our program is our close collaboration with other medical institutions in Boston, with core and elective rotations at Boston Children's Hospital, Tufts Medical Center and Massachusetts General Hospital. We also have close ties with Boston University Medical School and Boston University School of Public Health, which provide numerous avenues for added educational and research opportunities.
We are looking for trainees who are passionate about a career in pediatric neurology. We are interested in newly trained physicians who show curiosity, are inquisitive, excited about clinical medicine, and energized by their interactions with their teachers, colleagues, peers and fellow students. Our program is particularly strong in bedside and didactic teaching, and we have well-developed programs in epilepsy, sleep disorders, neurological disabilities, neurobehavioral and neurodevelopmental disorders, concussion & head trauma, and cerebral palsy related to preterm birth. . We also conduct a bilingual (Spanish) Pediatric Neurology program.
The Child Neurology residency program offers two types of positions: a Categorical track, which includes 2 years training in Pediatrics in the Boston Combined Residency Program (BCRP) program at Boston University Medical Center and Boston Children’s Hospital, and 3 years of Pediatric Neurology training at Boston University Medical Center. For those interested, we offer the applicant who is accepted to our Categorical position the opportunity to obtain a 32 credit hours Master’s Degree either in Education or in Epidemiology through Boston University or its School of Public Health. The applicant would earn this degree over a two years span following completion of their 5 years training in Pediatrics and PN while working part-time as an Instructor in our Pediatric Neurology division.
We also offer a Reserved track at Boston University Medical Center for a candidate who has completed at least two years of Pediatrics training in an ACGME accredited program and is prepared to begin July 2017, 4 months after completion of the Match. We require an interview, a personal statement, and three letters of reference. Please refer to our website regarding the application process to apply.
Beyond our hospital setting, the Boston area provides a terrific cultural, sporting, and remarkably stimulating intellectual environment. If you are interested in pursuing a career in Pediatric Neurology, we encourage you to consider our unique program at Boston Medical Center. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you about our Pediatric Neurology training program
Our three-year pediatric neurology residency training program is designed to:
- Meet the resident's career goals through individual tailoring of our training program
- Allow the residents flexibility to explore interests such as global health, epidemiological research, and medical education
- Foster the resident’s critical thinking
- Provide the resident with the core knowledge, skills and experience that will enable the resident to provide children with neurological problems excellence in clinical care
- Enhance each resident’s skills as a teacher
- Provide each resident the opportunity to conduct supervised clinical and/or laboratory research
- Prepare the resident to sit successfully for examination by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology for Certification in Neurology (with Special Qualification in Child Neurology)