Boston Medical Center provides a full spectrum of pediatric and adult care services including primary care, family medicine and advanced specialty care. BMC also has the largest 24-hour Level 1 trauma center in New England.
The Division of Nursing and our entire staff of more than 1,500 RNs are committed to mentoring the future nurses of our profession. Our staff hosts hundreds of nursing students and clinical faculty members each year as part of the learning process. This centralized site is intended to streamline the clinical placement process.
New Clinical Instructors
If your school of nursing plans for a new clinical instructor to come to BMC for the first time with students, you must first submit the instructor’s resume/CV to ensure that his/her clinical experience is a solid match for our organization, and to optimize experiences for students, staff and our patients. Contact Pam Corey, RN at [email protected].
- Please begin by reading our Policy on Nursing Student Clinical Placements (PDF)
- Complete and pass the Medical Exam (at least 88%).
Review the helpful Medication Exam Study Guide (PDF)
- Unit-based orientation, shadowing a charge nurse or staff nurse on the unit for six to eight hours. You will be given the number to the unit’s nurse manager to facilitate.
- Computer training class. BMC has an electronic order entry system and is highly automated. The classes are held once or twice a month, and are day-long sessions. Please contact Pam Corey at [email protected] for the schedules well in advance. Due to limited resources, we cannot accommodate one-on-one training.
- Once these steps are complete, refer to steps 4 through 6 of the All Clinical Placements section below.
All Clinical Placements
- Please begin by reading our Policy on Nursing Student Clinical Placements (PDF).
- Clinical Placement Request Form (PDF)
Submit prior to the start of each semester. Each group will have no more than eight students, and that clinical instructor must have experience in the appropriate area.
- New clinical faculty are approved only after review of CV to ensure expertise matches our highly acute, technology-driven settings. Please see the above section New Clinical Instructors. Once approved, you will be notified by email or phone. Given the volume, we cannot always accommodate every request from each school.
- All instructors must complete and pass (score at least 88%) a Medication Exam prior to the start of the semester. This only has to be completed once by each instructor.
Medical Exam Study Guide (PDF)
- Prior to the start of each clinical group coming to BMC, we MUST have verification of health status, CORI checks and liability coverage for each faculty member and student. Please fill out the CORI & Liability Verification Form (.docm). Fax to 617.414.7575.
- There are several required policies and procedures that instructors must become familiar with and review with students.