Thank you for your interest in our program.
2023 Interview Dates
Please note that all interviews will be held virtually.
Wednesday, September 20 - Reserved for military applicants (see applicant information below)
Wednesday, Sept. 20 - Reserved for military applicants (see applicant information below)
Wednesday, Oct. 11 - PM session (BU applicants and visiting students)
Friday, Oct. 20 - AM session (BU applicants and visiting students)
Tuesday, Nov. 7 - AM and PM sessions
Monday, Nov. 20 - AM and PM sessions
Wednesday, Dec. 13 - AM and PM sessions
Thursday, Dec. 21 - AM and PM sessions
Military applicants: Please see separate application process below.
Applicants interested in our training program need only apply through the Electronic Residency Matching Service (ERAS). Information regarding the ERAS program is available through your medical school dean’s office or through the American Medical Association.
Applications will be considered complete with the following documentation:
- For the 2023 ERAS cycle, our program will be participating in the supplemental ERAS application offered through the AAMC’s ERAS program. Applicants will be required to complete the MyERAS application, and participation in the supplemental ERAS application is optional.
- USMLE scores (Step 1 & Step 2 CK)
- Personal statement (As part of your personal statement, please explain briefly [2-4 sentences] what attracts you to the general surgery program at Boston Medical Center and what you will contribute to our community.)
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- Dean's letter
All applications from LCME-accredited medical schools or equivalent international medical schools are considered. (Please note that if you are foreign graduate, you must be ECFMG certified to be considered for a position in our institution).
Applications are reviewed holistically. Research experience and a broad range of extracurricular activities are valued.
The Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine/Boston Medical Center (BMC) Surgery Residency Program reserves one of its six categorical residency slots for a member of the military. Interested applicants should forward their CV, a personal statement, and an unofficial transcript of their USMLE/COMLEX scores to Lana Ketlere, surgery residency program coordinator, by Sept. 1, 2023.
For additional information:
Lana Ketlere, Surgery Residency Program Coordinator