Junior Summer Volunteer Program
Boston Medical Center is pleased to once again offer a Junior Summer Volunteer Program (JSVP) for rising juniors and seniors in high school! This program will allow students to gain valuable knowledge and insight into the patient’s care experience at BMC through interactive engagement and consultation with the hospital and clinical professionals.
Eligible participants of this program must be entering their junior or senior year of high school and are able to commit to the full 8 weeks of the program. Dates for the program will be released in early spring. Strong applicants for the program will be reliable, committed, and eager to learn about the hospital and healthcare setting. Must have a positive attitude and be open to learning from new experiences.
All inquiries about the Summer Program and correspondence with Volunteer Services in regards to application status should be made by the candidate themselves.
This year Boston Medical Center will be offering two tracks for the program: volunteering and an educational intensive.
The first track, volunteering, will begin on July 1st. You will have the opportunity to volunteer on BMC’s campus for all of July and August. In July and August, you will be expected to commit to one, three-hour volunteer shift each week.
The second track is a fully remote educational intensive beginning on August 1st. The educational intensive will consist of two to three one-hour lectures each week spanning the month of August. You will follow an assigned patient scenario and learn firsthand from BMC professionals.
Students with strong applications may apply to participate in both programs.
- Complete the online Junior Summer Volunteer Program Application. Link here.
- Upload one letter of reference with your application or have your letter submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is strongly preferred that the letter be from a teacher, guidance counselor, or adult who knows you well from school. The letter should be no more than a paragraph in length and uploaded in PDF format if submitted by the student directly. Reference letters from relatives will not be accepted.
- After submitting your application, you will receive an email within a week telling you to log back in to VSys using the log in credentials you entered on your application. Once you log in to VSys you will see the remaining items to be completed. The remaining items will include:
- Guardian Permission Form. Have a parent or guardian complete and sign the permission form and email to email@example.com. As the applicant, you are also able to upload the completed form into VSys.
- Photo Authorization Form. Complete the photo authorization form with signature and upload into VSys.
- Reference Letter. If you did not provide a reference letter when completing your application, you will be able to upload one after submitting your application as long as it is before the final deadline.
Please note that we cannot guarantee a placement for all who apply. Preference will be given to students who live in Boston and attend Boston Public Schools.
- May 27th: Application Closes
- May 30th: 4 PM-5:30 PM: Volunteer Group Interviews
- May 31st: 3:30 PM-5 PM: Volunteer Group Interviews
- June 1st: 3:30 PM-5 PM: Educational Intensive Group Interviews
- June 2nd: 4 PM-5:30 PM: Educational Intensive Group Interviews
- July 1st: On-campus orientation for Volunteer Group
- July 5th: First day of volunteer shifts
- July 15th: Lunch and Learn
- August 1st: Remote orientation for Educational Intensive Group
- August 12th: Lunch and Learn
- August 19th: On-Campus Community Volunteering Day
- September 2nd: Final Day Celebration Lunch and Presentations: On Campus: Both Groups
Can I participate in the Junior Volunteer Summer Program if I am not entering my junior or senior year of high school?
JSVP is designed for high school volunteers entering their junior or senior year. Please go to our Volunteer Opportunities section to view placements open for those in college and beyond.
Can I still participate in the program if I am going to be away for part of the summer?
Yes, as long as you have a stable internet connection and are able to sign into Zoom throughout the summer you can participate in the virtual summer program. If there are planned dates you would be unable to participate in a Zoom meeting you must note on your application the dates and times you will be unavailable.
Individuals applying for the Volunteer Group must be available for the majority of the summer as they are expected to be on campus. Some flexibility may be granted, but dates must be shared with Volunteer Services in advance of starting the program.
What days will the JSVP be held?
We will ask all JSVP participants to be available during the work week.
At the end of the program, do I receive documentation of my hours?
All students will receive credit for the hours they participate in the program as well as a certificate upon completion of the program.
I have a question that was not answered here, who should I reach out to?
Any additional questions students have about the program can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. All questions should come from the interested applicants themselves.