In 2018, BMC completed our clinical campus redesign project, which unified many of our clinical services to one campus in order to better serve our patients. Now, as our health system continues to expand and serve even more patients and members of the community, we need to grow our physical space and update several of our facilities.
To address this demand, we launched part two of our clinical campus redesign, which will impact both our inpatient and outpatient services. We began by focusing on our outpatient clinics in mid-2022 and, pending state approval, will start construction of expanded inpatient services in spring 2023. In total, the new projects will add:
- New and improved outpatient clinics for Pediatrics, Women’s Health, and Adult Psychiatry
- Expanded services in Crosstown Building located at 801 Mass Ave. to better serve our patients using the clinics inside the building. New spaces will include a retail pharmacy, an outpatient imaging suite with diagnostic x-ray and mammography machines, and a blood draw suite
- Med/surg and critical care inpatient bed suites in the Yawkey Building
- Additional operating rooms in the Menino Building
- A new, modern Menino lobby, including an expansion of the cafeteria seating area, improved patient drop-off and valet areas, improved access from Mass Ave to the Yawkey, Menino, and Moakley Building entrances, wider drop-off roadways, and a reconfigured handicapped parking lot
Construction on our outpatient spaces began in mid-2022. We expect new patient bed units will begin to open in 2023 and continue through 2024. Overall, construction will be finished by the end of 2025.
What You’ll See Now
- The Dental Clinic will move from Yawkey 6 to Shapiro 6 on April 10.
- The Pediatrics Clinic will be relocating from Yawkey 6 and Shapiro 8 to Crosstown 7 at the end of April.
- A pharmacy is now open on the ground level of Crosstown Building.
- The OB/GYN Procedure Unit, or BEACON, is now in the Menino building, 2nd floor. The OB/GYN Main Clinic and Antenatal Testing Unit (ATU) has moved to the Shapiro building, 5th floor
Mass Ave. Sidewalk Closure
As of October 2022, the sidewalk from Harrison Ave. to Albany St. along Mass Ave. (next to the Yawkey building) has been shut down due to underground site and utility relocation construction. Please note the following changes:
For your safety, pedestrians should not walk in the city-designated temporary bike lane on the hospital side of Mass Ave. Please cross the street via the crosswalk at the corner of Mass Ave and Albany or Mass Ave. and Harrison to use the opposite side of the street sidewalk.
MBTA bus routes and shelters are not impacted; the Harvard Square-bound 1 bus will still make stops at the Harrison Ave. and Albany Street stops along Mass Ave.
Access to the ramp and stairs from Mass Ave. to the BMC campus is temporarily closed. The patient and public entrance to the Menino and Yawkey buildings should be accessed from the Harrison Avenue entrance.