Education & Training
The BMC AFI is responsible for ongoing training across Boston Medical Center and the Boston University Medical Campus. AFI provides routine training related to Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) foundations and clinical strategies to:
- All Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine medical students
- All Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine genetic counseling students
- All BU Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine pre-doctoral dental dentals
- All BU Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine postdoctoral dental residents
- All BMC new-hire public safety officers
- BMC Interpreter Services Department
- Over 20+ medical/clinical departments
At BMC, we also offer many resources available to staff to enhance their service to our patients. These resources include:
- Video curriculum on the BMC employee learning platform, WorkdayLearning. Our two courses cover the basics of supporting autistic patients, and a review of the resources available at BMC via the Autism Friendly Initiative.
- Sensory Accommodations
- Autism Support Checklists
- SmartTools within our Electronic Health Record, EPIC, including an After Visit Summary “dot phrase” which easily provides patients with information about our Autism Program.
- Autism Resource Specialists, who are available for visit support throughout the hospital
- Healthcare Social Stories
BMC staff interested in learning more about our Autism Friendly Initiative can visit our protected intranet page by clicking here.
For those outside of BMC, please visit Become Autism Friendly to learn more about partnering with AFI to improve your care of autistic patients.