The Joel and Barbara Alpert Endowment and the Center for the Urban Child and Healthy Family will support Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center Department fellows or residents to implement and evaluate projects that innovate and transform pediatric health care delivery and improve child health outcomes. Pediatrics fellows are also invited to submit more traditional small research grants.
Grant Cycle: 2/1/2019-1/31/2020
Supported by: The Joel and Barbara Alpert Endowment for Children of the City and the Center for the Urban Child and Healthy Family
Grant Amount: $1,000- $3,000 for pediatrics resident projects; $5,000-$10,000 for pediatrics fellow projects
Release Date: November 7, 2018
Proposals are due by: December 15, 2018
The Joel and Barbara Alpert Endowment for Children of the City
The Joel and Barbara Alpert Endowment for Children of the City was established at Boston University School of Medicine in honor of the work carried out by the Alperts over their 25 years with Boston City Hospital, Boston Medical Center, and the Boston University medical community.
The endowment is used to support Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center residents and fellows. Projects are expected to study the medical and social needs of vulnerable children, their families, and their communities.
Center for the Urban Child and Healthy Family
Vision: All children in America have an equal opportunity to be healthy, ready to learn, and to achieve their full potential.
Mission: The mission of the Center for the Urban Child and Healthy Family is to achieve dramatic improvements in outcomes for children and families facing adversity by developing, testing and scaling novel health delivery approaches that serve children with their caregivers and that bring together communities, child-serving sectors, and health providers across disciplines.
Fellow and resident projects should focus on improving outcomes for families facing adversity, particularly through innovation of care delivery. All projects must include evaluation; fellows may propose more traditional small research studies.
The following guidelines pertain to the submission:
- The grant should be double-spaced and no longer than 6 pages. Please number the pages consecutively, including a cover page.
- The first page should be the cover page, and should include the project title, project team, and total budget request. This does not count in the page numbering.
- The format must include the following sections:
- Summary/Specific Aims or Project Goals: Includes project objectives as well as how the project will achieve improved outcomes for our families
- Background and Significance
- Design: Includes details about the program and its delivery (or study design for fellows opting to submit a research proposal)
- Data Collection/Evaluation Plan (and analysis plan for fellows opting to submit a research proposal)
- Opportunities for collaboration with existing BMC and/or communities programs
- Literature Cited
- CVs or biosketches for each member of the project team (does not count in page numbers).
- Multidisciplinary teams are strongly encouraged
- The last page(s) should be the detailed project budget and brief budget justification (counts in page numbering).
- Budgets are for one year, and can be up to $3,000 for residents and $10,000 for fellows. We do not anticipate that grant funds can be carried over beyond the original year of funding.
- The budget cannot include faculty salary support, large equipment purchases such as computers, or travel expenses.
Receipt of grant funding is contingent upon compliance with the following deliverables/expectations:
- Submission of a 6 month progress report to detail completed and upcoming activities, summarize data collected thus far, discuss next steps
- Completion of a final report including (but not limited to) a summary of project activities, data collected, dissemination and sustainability plans
- Recipients will acknowledge the Alpert Foundation and the Center for the Urban Child and Healthy Family (verbiage will be provided) on all products (e.g. presentations; articles; publications, etc.)
Applications that do not follow the above format will not be reviewed.
Please contact Carey Howard, [email protected], with any questions or to submit a proposal.
Last Updated: November 6, 2018