Mission and Vision
As an accountable care organization, the mission of the Boston Accountable Care Organization, Inc. (BACO) is to improve the healthcare of the populations that our network serves. To provide the best care possible, BACO is designed to better manage all aspects of healthcare, in an effort to improve the health of the population served while operating more efficiently. BACO integrates the resources of its participants and their affiliated physicians to provide more effective, higher quality and less expensive care for the patients of our ACO.
Faithful to the spirit of partnership and innovation while fulfilling BMC’s mission of providing exceptional care to all, the Boston Accountable Care Organization, Inc. will be a leader in the provision of patient care that:
- Improves its patients’ experience of care
- Improves the health of all patients served
- Addresses the specific healthcare needs of vulnerable populations
- Reduces the costs of the healthcare it provides
We will accomplish these aims through the development of an integrated delivery system that coordinates care across the continuum, providing the right care at the right place at the right time.
BACO is an innovator and leader around issues core to Medicaid patients. For example:
- Our complex care management program improves outcomes for patients with complex, chronic disease and multiple health-related social needs. This video illustrates the impact of our program on one patient, Carl.
- We are publishing cutting-edge research and perspectives on relevant topics, such as access to long-acting contraceptives.
- We are piloting innovative solutions to help our patients experiencing homelessness and housing insecurity, including developing our housing services department, Living Well at Home, and creating supportive housing partnerships with local housing agencies and property owners.
In addition to BMC hospital, BACO’s member organizations include:
- Boston University Medical Group
- Greater Roslindale Medical & Dental
- Codman Square Health Center
- Dorchester House Multi-Service Center
- South Boston Community Health Center
- East Boston Neighborhood Health Center
- Upham's Corner Health Committee
- Mattapan Community Health Center
- Manet Community Health Center, Inc.
- Harbor Health Services, Inc.
- Harvard Street Neighborhood Health Center
- Health First Family Care Center
- Stanley Street Treatment and Resources
- Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program
- Sturdy Memorial Hospital, Inc.
- Holyoke Medical Center Inc./Valley Health Partners
- South Shore PHO/Health System
- Cape Cod Health Care
Board of Directors
BACO is governed by a board of directors, whose current members are:
- President Elect: Cynthia Sierra, CEO of Manet Community Health Center
- Treasurer: William Creevy, MD
- Clerk: David Beck
- Executive Director: Michael Olsen
- Medical Director: Jason Worcester
Patient Advisory Committee
The needs and desires of the patient population of the Boston Accountable Care Organization is at the forefront of our work. To that end, as a part of its governance structure BACO has a Patient Advisory Committee that currently reports to its Board of Directors. The purposes of the Committee are to assist the Board in meeting its responsibilities to ensure that the interest of the ACO’s patients, and their families, are met. The Committee has appointed a consumer representative to sit on the BACO’s Board of Directors, and intends to recommend a consumer or consumer advocate to represent patients with disabilities to the Board or one of its Committees, in the near future.