Visiting Medical Students
Subsidized Visiting Elective Program
The Subsidized Visiting Elective Program (SVEP) provides financial assistance and support for under-represented minority medical students to gain clinical exposure within any of our departments in the form of a month-long elective at Boston Medical Center, affiliate hospital of Boston University School of Medicine.
Students that are accepted into the SVEP will be reimbursed up to $2,000 for travel, housing, and VSLO registration fee. In addition, students will meet URM faculty, residents, and/or fellows.
- Currently enrolled full-time third year medical students applying to senior electives
- Students with good academic standing at an LCME accredited U.S. institution
- Individuals belonging to a group considered under-represented in medicine (Black/African-American, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American, and Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian)
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents
How to Apply
This process requires two separate applications, the Subsidized Visiting Elective Application which awards the financial support, and the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSAS/VSLO) which allows students to register for an elective at Boston University School of Medicine.
A completed subsidized elective application consists of the following:
- SVEP application: Subsidized Visiting Elective Application (PDF)
- Official medical school transcript
- Resume or CV
Please email your resume/cv and SVEP application directly to Shawnda Walker, Manager Office of Minority Physician Recruitment, at Shawnda.Walker@bmc.org.
Official transcripts are to be mailed by school officials. (Please see below mailing address)
Each student’s application status will be provided via email by the end of June. Accepted students will need to upload all of the required documents into VSLO. Once documents are approved by BUSM Registrar’s Office, students will be allowed to register for an elective.
Students are responsible for arranging their elective with the clinical department.
It is required of all visiting students to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Proof of vaccination can be sent to BMC employee health (Working Well) by emailing email@example.com prior to your arrival.