Homemade Mozzarella Cheese
|Author: BMC's Teaching Kitchen||Recipe Type: Snack | Cuisine: Italian||Serves:|
|Total Time: 60 | Prep Time: 30 | Cook Time: 30|
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 ½ teaspoon citric acid
- ¼ rennet tablet, crushed OR ¼ teaspoon vegetarian liquid rennet
- 1 gallon milk, whole or 2%, NOT ultra-pasteurized
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Equipment: 5 quart pot Measuring spoons/cups Thermometer Knife Slotted spoon Mesh strainer (optional) Microwavable bowl and microwave
- Prepare the rennet: In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup water with rennet, stir till dissolved.
- Add the rennet solution. Gently stir in rennet solution for 30 seconds. Cover the pot and let rest 10 minutes.
- Cut the Curds: A soft curd should have formed (looks like custard), if not, let sit another 5 minutes. Cut the curds into 1 ½ inch cubes in a checkerboard-like grid.
- Cook the curds: Return the pot to the stove over medium heat - stirring gently a few times, try not to break up curds too much - until the temperature reaches 105 º F. Remove the pot from heat, cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Separate curds from whey: Using a slotted spoon, remove the curds and place in a bowl or mesh strainer. Gently press curds to remove whey.
- Re-heat curds- May do this in hot whey water or microwave (see notes)
- Add salt: Sprinkle curds with salt and squeeze in to incorporate.
- Stretch and shape: While curds are still hot, use hands to stretch and fold the curds until they become tight, firm, and glossy – about 2 minutes. May wear rubber gloves or plunge hands into ice water at this stage if curd is too hot to handle.
- Shape into 2 (8-ounce) balls. Immerse into ice water to set.
- Store cheese: May store cheese balls in cold whey water or regular water for up to 5 days
Re-heat curds- May do this in hot whey water or microwave:
- Hot Water: Re-heat the whey water (or fresh water) to 180º F. Add the curds back into the whey water (or just immerse the mesh strainer into the water), and let rest for 3 minutes. Check the temperature of the curds and remove when they reach 135 degrees.
- In microwave: Place curds in a microwavable bowl. Heat in microwave on High for 1 minute. Drain off whey, and fold the curds over themselves a few times- will still be like cottage cheese. Microwave another 30 seconds, check temperature of curd, until reaches 135º F.
|Serving Size:||Calories: 100|
- 5 quart pot
- Measuring spoons/cups
- Slotted spoon
- Mesh strainer (optional)
- Microwavable bowl and microwave