Visiting Medical Students
Subsidized Visiting Elective Program
The Subsidized Visiting Elective Program (SVEP) provides financial assistance and support for under-represented minority medical students to gain clinical exposure within any of our departments in the form of a month-long elective at Boston Medical Center, affiliate hospital of Boston University School of Medicine.
Students that are accepted into the SVEP will be reimbursed up to $2,500 for travel, housing, and VSLO registration fee. In addition, students will meet URM faculty, residents, and/or fellows.
- Currently enrolled full-time third year medical students applying to senior electives
- Students with good academic standing at an LCME accredited U.S. institution
- Individuals belonging to a group considered under-represented in medicine (Black/African-American, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American, and Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian)
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents
How to Apply
This process requires two separate applications, the Subsidized Visiting Elective Application which awards the financial support, and the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSAS/VSLO) which allows students to register for an elective at Boston University School of Medicine.
A completed subsidized elective application consists of the following:
- SVEP application: Subsidized Visiting Elective Application (PDF)
- Official medical school transcript
- Resume or CV
Please email your resume/cv and SVEP application directly to Shawnda Walker, Manager Office of Minority Physician Recruitment, at [email protected].
Official transcripts are accepted by electronic communication directly from the registrar’s office or U.S. Mail to the address below:
Each student’s application status will be provided via email by June 30. Accepted students will need to log into VSAS/VSLO and follow their guidelines for applying to a rotation. VSAS/VSLO applications are managed by Boson University School of Medicine (BUSM) Registrar’s Office. Contact BUSM Registrar’s Office for questions re your VSAS/VSLO application.
Students are responsible for arranging their elective with the clinical department.
It is required of all visiting students to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Proof of vaccination can be sent to BMC employee health (Working Well) by emailing [email protected] prior to your arrival.