Subsidized Visiting Elective Program
The Subsidized Visiting Elective Program (SVEP) provides financial assistance and support for under-represented minority medical students to gain clinical exposure within any of our departments in the form of a month-long elective at Boston Medical Center, affiliate hospital of Boston University School of Medicine.
Students that are accepted into the SVEP will be reimbursed up to $2,000 for travel, housing, and VSLO registration fee. In addition, students will meet URM faculty, residents, and/or fellows.
- Currently enrolled full-time third year medical students applying to senior electives
- Students with good academic standing at an LCME accredited U.S. institution
- Individuals belonging to a group considered under-represented in medicine (Black/African-American, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American, and Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian)
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents
How to Apply
This process requires two separate applications, the Subsidized Visiting Elective Application which awards the financial support, and the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSAS/VSLO) which allows students to register for an elective at Boston University School of Medicine.
A completed subsidized elective application consists of the following:
- SVEP application: Subsidized Visiting Elective Application (PDF)
- Official medical school transcript
- Resume or CV
Please email your resume/cv and SVEP application directly to Shawnda Walker, Manager Office of Minority Physician Recruitment, at [email protected].
Official transcripts are to be mailed by school officials. (Please see below mailing address)
Notification of student's application status will be provided via email by early May. Accepted students will need to upload all the required documents into VSLO. Once documents are approved by the BUSM Registrar Office, students will be allowed to register for an elective starting June 29, 2020.
Students are responsible for arranging their elective with the clinical department.
The Office of Minority Physician Recruitment will provide guidance and support to ensure accepted students secure the appropriate elective.
The elective rotations should be scheduled between July and November.