Seven Days Before the Procedure
- Buy two (2) bottles of FLEET enemas (green and white box). FLEET enema is a brand of enema, which is available in most pharmacies without a prescription.
- Continue taking your regular medications.
- If you are taking Coumadin or any blood thinners – call your prescribing doctor for special instructions about stopping the medication for your procedure.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, call 617-414-2600 option #1.
On the Day of the Procedure
- Please use two FLEET enemas two hours before you leave for the hospital. Please follow the instructions on the package insert carefully to ensure a successful test.
- Once the FLEET enemas are given, DO NOT EAT OR DRINK UNTIL THE TEST HAS BEEN COMPLETED.
- Take your normal medication with a sip of water. Please bring a list of current medications.
- If you have diabetes- if you take insulin in the morning, take one-half dose of insulin on the morning of the procedure. If you take a pill for your diabetes, you may skip it on the morning of the procedure unless instructed otherwise. Please check your blood sugar level in the morning and if it is low or if you feel shaky, drink apple juice, sports drink or soda.
Most people undergo this test without sedation. If you think you will need sedation please note the following requirements:
- You must have an escort home. You cannot drive or travel alone after the procedure because of the effects of sedation. Your escort must be a responsible adult. Please inform your escort that the entire visit will last approximately one to two hours.
- You must have an empty stomach for the procedure. No solid food within eight hours of your procedure. You may have clear (transparent) liquids only up until two hours of your procedure. Examples of clear liquids:
- Apple or white grape juices (NO pulp)
- Broths that are clear and contain no solids
- Tea and coffee WITHOUT milk or cream
- Soda, sports drinks, Kool-Aid, Jell-O, Popsicles (any color except red)