22 Neovaginoplasties; 2 Genital remodeling
28 Neovaginoplasties; 8 Genital remodeling
22 Neovaginoplasties; 4 Genital remodeling
Boston Medical Center provides a number of different surgical options to transgender patients.
The patient’s medical and mental health history along with appropriate diagnostic results will be reviewed by our transgender surgery panel to determine whether the patient is an appropriate surgical candidate. The panel membership currently includes physician representatives from the following areas: endocrinology, surgery and primary care, along with a licensed psychologist. The criteria for eligibility include the following:
- The patient is at least 18 years of age.
- The patient is transgender and has the desire to live and be accepted as a member of a sex other than natal sex, accompanied by the desire to make the physical body more congruent with the gender identity through surgery and hormone treatment.
- The gender identity has been expressed for at least 12 months and is not a symptom of a mental disorder.
- For those patients without a medical or mental health contraindication, they must have lived at least 12 months in their new gender role.
Additionally, each patient’s medical and mental health history will be reviewed by BMC’s transgender surgery panel to determine if the patient is an appropriate surgical candidate.
Gender Affirming Surgical Procedures
- Chest Reconstruction Surgery
This procedure involves using breast implants to fulfill the desire for fuller breasts (breast enlargement).
- Chest Reconstruction Surgery (Breast Augmentation)
- Genital Surgery
Male to female genital reconstruction surgery includes an orchiectomy (removal of the testicles and the surgical construction of a vagina (neovaginoplasty), or Genital remodeling, the surgical procedure to create the most natural appearing external female genitalia as possible, without creating a vaginal cavity (sometimes referred to as no-depth or zero-depth vaginoplasty)
- Chest Reconstruction Surgery (mastectomy)
A surgical procedure to remove the breasts.
A surgical procedure to remove all or parts of the uterus.
A surgical procedure to remove one or both ovaries.