For Providers, Filing a Maltreatment Report
Report Child Abuse, Neglect or Maltreatment
Massachusetts law requires mandated reporters file a report of child abuse or neglect to the Department of Children and Families anytime there is reasonable cause to believe that a child is suffering abuse, neglect and/or maltreatment. This report is known as a 51A report (referring to Chapter 119, Section 51A of the Massachusetts General Laws).
- All 51A reports must be made initially with a phone call to Child at Risk Hotline (1.800.792.5200) and then followed up with the written report.
- The written 51A reports should be faxed to the appropriate DCF office within 24 hours of the telephone report.
- 51A Form to Report Child Abuse or Maltreatment (EDITABLE)
- DCF Regional and Area Offices
- Support to End Exploitation Now (SEEN) Coalition (FAQ's and Guide to Responding to Exploited Youth)
The Child Protection Team is available for a phone consultation to any Boston Medical Center staff member 24/7 to help with these difficult cases by paging ID# 7336.