Education and Training – Continuing Medical Education
Langmore FEES Course: A Procedure for Evaluating Oropharyngeal Dysphagia (or the swallowing function)
This Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) program provides an opportunity to develop an understanding of the FEES procedure and gain experience with interpreting FEES for the evaluation and management of oropharyngeal dysphagia or the swallowing function.
Register Now for the FEES Course (follow this link to registration form)
Dates: March 14 & 15, 2014; June 6 & 7, 2014 This course is closed., October 3 & 4, 2014
The Foundation course is taught by Susan Langmore, PhD. BRS-S, who developed the FEES procedure in 1988. She has used it with all types of adult patients, including ICU, inpatients, outpatients and nursing home patients. She is experienced in working with virtually all types of dysphagia. Dr. Langmore is a full time clinician who also conducts extensive research and has given presentations on dysphagia around the world. Dr. Langmore will be assisted by other speech pathologists and otolaryngologists in the department who use this procedure.
The participant (physician or speech pathologist) will attain a minimal level of competence in performing the protocol, interpreting the results of FEES examinations and using endoscopy to guide therapy for patients with dysphagia. With a guarantee of passing the endoscope at least 5 times, he/she will become familiar with handling the endoscope passing it into the hypopharynx, and manipulating the scope within and around the larynx to attain an optimal view.
On conclusion of the program, the participants will be able to:
1. Understand what can be visualized and understood about normal and abnormal swallowing from an endoscopic image.
2. Know clinical indications and risks for performing FEES®.
3. Follow a protocol for administering a FEES exam.
4. Identify key structures, identify and interpret findings, and apply appropriate therapeutic interventions during the performance of a FEES exam.
5. Implement and adapt the FEES protocol for different patient populations and settings.
6. Know how to use endoscopy to manage patients with dysphagia.
7. Learn how to implement FEES into their employment setting.
8. Have an introductory level of skill in passing the endoscope safely and know how to position the scope to get an ideal view during the FEES examination.
Register Now for the FEES Course (follow this link to form)
Registration for Langmore Foundation FEES Program - Two Days
Please make your check payable to “BUMC Otolaryngology Speech & Swallowing” for the Foundation FEES Course - $600.00. If more than one attendee comes to the same course the rates are as follows:
2 Attendees $550.00 each
Send your Check (sorry, no credit cards or invoices available at this time) for the Foundation or the Advanced Course with a print out of your completed registration form to: