Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Tocilizumab
If you agree to take part in the study, you will be randomly assigned by chance (like the flip of a coin) to receive either tocilizumab or placebo (inactive substance). You will have a 2 in 3 chance of being assigned to tocilizumab. This is a double-blind study, which means that neither you nor the study doctor will know to which of these two groups you are assigned
- Age > 18 and < 80 years old
- Male or female gender
- Confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection by NP swab PCR
- Admitted to non-ICU level care at MGH
- WITH evidence of severe COVID-19 (at least one of the following):
- Fever > 38C
- Bilateral pulmonary infiltrates on chest X ray
- Need for supplemental O2 to maintain saturation > 92%
- AND at least one of the following:
- Ferritin > 500 ng/ml
- CRP > 50 mg/L
The purpose of this research study is to assess the effectiveness of tocilizumab in reducing organ failure and inflammation in patient’s severe COVID-19 infection.
If you decide to join this research study, you will be enrolled for up to 28 days after you receive the study drug. While you are hospitalized, we will collect blood samples and other clinical information, such as vital signs and electrocardiograms, to assess how well your body has responded to the medication. This will take about 2 hours in total over about 6 visits to your hospital room. After you are discharged, we will ask you to come back to the hospital once or contact you by phone.