The BirthPlace/Well Baby Unit is a special service of BMC’s Department of Pediatrics that is committed to providing state-of-the-art medical care for newborns and their mothers in a family-centered, maternity-care environment.
The Unit Strives to:
- Respect each woman and her family.
- Identify strengths in every woman and her family, even in crisis situations.
- Provide choice for women and families about approaches to care and support.
- Offer flexibility in policies, procedures, and staff practices to tailor care to the needs, beliefs, and cultural values of individual women and their families.
- Provide information to equip women and their families to make choices and assume responsibility for their own care.
- Provide support, both formal and informal, during pregnancy, childbirth, and early parenting.
- Empower women and their families to discover their own strengths and to make choices and decisions about their maternity care.
- Collaborate with women, families, and health-care providers in the care of an individual woman; in developing programs and policies in our hospital; and in designing systems of care that better meet the needs and preferences of women, infants, and families.