Operations and Clinical Update: October 28, 2020
BMC Total Inpatients
BMC Inpatients Requiring ICU Care
BMC Inpatients Under Investigation (pending + negatives treated as positives)
Cumulative Staff Who Have Tested Positive
427 (10 new since 10/21)
REMINDER: Final Days for All Employees to Receive a Flu Vaccination
All staff members and LIPs, including those working off-site (at home, out-of-state, and off-campus), are required to receive their annual flu vaccine by October 30. If you are a BMC employee who has not met the requirements by October 30, you will not be able to return to work and will be unpaid in accordance with our policy.
To get your flu shot ON-campus:
- Visit the Working Well Employee Health Portal to electronically view and sign the influenza consent form prior to attending an on-campus vaccination event.
- Stop by a scheduled vaccination event for your flu vaccine and your sticker. The full schedule of vaccination events is available on the Annual Flu Compliance page on the Hub.
If you prefer to get your flu shot from an OFF-campus provider, visit the Working Well Employee Health Portal to upload influenza vaccination receipts. You can also use the portal to upload required supporting medical or religious documentation to decline vaccination for review and approval by the WWC.
UPDATED: COVID-19 Cases Rising – Mask Adherence Critical
COVID-19 cases are continuing to rise in Boston and Massachusetts, and it is essential that we remain vigilant with mask usage, eye protection when caring directly for patients, hand hygiene, and physical distancing.
- Wearing a surgical mask – not a cloth mask – over your mouth and nose is mandatory for staff at all times on campus, unless you are alone in your office or eating. Cloth masks can be worn outside the hospital.
- Employees working in group spaces (workrooms) and cubicles should wear a mask at all times and refrain from eating in those spaces. We have additional seating on campus to allow for people to spread out when eating.
- If you are eating or drinking, and have your mask off, you MUST create a physical distance of a minimum of six feet from anyone you are with.
- Adhere to PPE guidelines while seeing patients. Eye protection is required when seeing any patient in any setting. Simple prescription eyewear is not sufficient. Any eye protection used must have side shielding in place. To see recommended options for eye protection, visit the COVID-19 Hub page.
NEW: Drive/Walk-in Flu Vaccination Clinic Available for Patients
In order to help ensure all BMC patients receive their flu vaccination, we have launched a drive/walk-in flu vaccination clinic. The clinic is available Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 750 Albany Street, for BMC patients only. No appointment is needed. BMC patients six months and up can receive a flu shot at this clinic. Please inform your patients of this option for flu vaccination.
NEW: Preston 5th Floor Conference Room Now a Staff Eating Location
The Preston 5th floor conference room, room 519, is now available to be used as a staff eating location for the colder months. A list of other areas designated for staff eating can be found on the Hub here.
NEW: Hospitalized Patients can Vote by Absentee Ballot
In Massachusetts, registered voters who are admitted to an inpatient healthcare facility or who are instructed to quarantine at home within one week of the election may use the absentee ballot application to designate someone of their choice to deliver a ballot for them.
The designee who delivers the ballot will need to bring the signed application to the local election office, pick up the absentee ballot, bring it to the registered voter, and return the ballot for the voter by the close of polls, 8 p.m., on Election Day, Tuesday November 3. Emergency ballots may be requested up until the close of polls. Absentee ballot application forms are available for download here in various languages.
REMINDER: Staff Members Who Use a Gerson 2130 or SAS N95 Mask Must Be Re-Fit Tested
Although the hospital continues to have 12 months of PPE on hand for a future surge, we will continue to conduct fit testing as supply of certain brands becomes scarce, to ensure everyone has appropriate access to our supply. All employees who use Gerson 2130 or SAS masks need to be re-fit tested as soon as possible, as these are not currently available. Drop-in fit testing sessions are scheduled for the following times in Yawkey basement conference room B, unless otherwise noted:
- Thursday, October 29: 4:30 – 7:30 p.m., Menino 2A
- Friday, October 30: 6 – 9 a.m., FGH conference room
- Monday, November 2: 6 – 9 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 4: 4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, November 5: 2 – 5 p.m.
- Friday, November 6: 6 – 9 a.m.
- Monday, November 9: 2 – 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 10: 6 – 9 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 11: 2 – 5 p.m.
- Thursday, November 12: 6 – 9 a.m.
- Friday, November 13: 6 – 9 a.m.