Research and Advocacy
Dr. Crosby has worked extensively with Global Lawyers and Physicians, whose mission is to, “work at the local, national and international levels through collaboration and partnerships with individuals, NGOs, IGOs, and governments on issues such as the global implementation of the health-related provisions of the Universal Declaration on Human Rights, the International Covenants on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, and Civil and Political Rights, with a focus on health and human rights, patient rights, and human experimentation.” She closely collaborates with international human rights experts George Annas, JD, MPH and Michael Grodin, MD through the BU Department of Health Law, Bioethics & Human Rights. For more information Global Lawyers and Physicians, please visit: http://www.globallawyersandphysicians.org/
Members of the team have also been actively involved in state and federal legislative advocacy and testimony, particularly surrounding the ethics of detention and force-feeding at Guantanamo Bay and physician involvement in enhanced interrogation. Examples of this type of work can be seen here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/guantanamo-bay-detainee-seeks-changes-in-force-feeding/2014/10/06/48370372-4d8c-11e4-babe-e91da079cb8a_story.html
For more on the research and advocacy work that the team is involved in, please see the following resources and publications.
- Kimball S, Soldz S. Medical professionalism and abuse of detainees in the war on terror. BMJ 2014;348:g2947.
- Tsai AC, Eisa MA, Crosby SS, Sirkin S, Heisler M, Leaning J, Iacopino V. Medical evidence of human rights violations against non-Arabic-speaking civilians in Darfur: A cross-sectional study. PLoS Med. 2012 Apr;9(4):e1001198. PMID: 22509136. PMCID: PMC3317898.
- Crosby SS. A doctor’s response to torture. Ann Intern Med. 2012 Mar;156(6):471-2. PMID: 22431681.
- Highfield ES, Lama P, Grodin MA, Kaptchuk TJ, Crosby SS. Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine for survivors of torture and refugee trauma: A descriptive report. J Immigr Minor Health. 2012 Jun;14(3):433-40. PMID: 22005843.
- Rourke E, Crosby S, Grodin M. 2005. Refugee Women’s Health. In: Boston Women’s Health Book Collective. Our Bodies, Ourselves. New York: Simon and Schuster, p. 738-9.
- Crosby SS, Rourke EJ, Warfa M. 2006. Fasting and Medical Issues During Ramadan. JAMA 2005; 294:1618.
- Reply: Crosby SS, Rourke EJ, Warfa MA. Medical Issues and Ramadan. JAMA; 295:498.