Daily COVID-19 Update: March 27, 2020
Please read for today’s updates.
NEW: Universal Mask Policy - Clarifications
As of today, March 27, BMC has adopted a universal mask policy in patient care and all public areas. Please note the following clarifications:
- The hospital-issued daily mask must be worn throughout the shift, in clinical areas and in shared spaces in clinical areas, such as hallways, medication rooms, and break rooms.
- Use of a mask is optional in shared corridors in non-clinical spaces such as Charlestown, Crosstown, DOB, and Dowling office spaces.
- Staff should continue to wear the same mask when caring for non-COVID-19 patients, unless it becomes damaged or dirty.
- Eating is not permitted in clinical areas. In settings where eating and drinking is not restricted, remove the mask and place it on a clean surface such as a paper towel or in a paper bag. After eating or drinking, perform hand hygiene, carefully put the mask back on, discard the paper towel, and perform hand hygiene again.
- If you do not receive a mask upon entry, please return to the entrance to ensure you are issued a mask.
NEW: Governor Baker Travel Announcement
Today, Governor Baker asked all travelers arriving to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to stay home and self-quarantine for 14 days. As noted by Governor Baker, at this time this advisory “exempts healthcare, public safety and other state-designated essential workers who commute into Massachusetts from neighboring states, and there are no penalties for those who visit in spite of the request.” For your health and safety, please continue to observe the travel policy that was published on March 18, 2020, which applies to all BMC, BMCHP and BMC Health System staff, and students managed by BMC staff.
BMC remains fully committed to both patient safety and maintaining the privacy of patients and staff during this time. Please remember you may only access or search for information needed to complete your job, and nothing more. During the COVID-19 emergency there may be limited circumstances where disclosing a patient’s COVID-19 diagnosis without authorization is allowed during this time. Please contact Legal or Compliance if you have any questions or issues. The lawyer on call is available at pager #1523, or you can call the Privacy office at 617-414-1800.
NEW: Free Offerings for Health Care Workers
In response to the rapidly evolving pandemic, companies across the country are stepping up to do what they can to help those on the frontlines. Here are a few offerings currently available:
- Starbucks: Free tall brewed hot or iced coffee through May 3
- Blue Bikes: Free 30-day membership (use code BUMCBLUE)
- Headspace: Free access to Headspace Plus
- Core Power Yoga: Free access to a new collection of classes every week
- Caffe Nero: Free coffee, tea, or hot chocolate (hospital ID required)
- AirBnB: Free temporary housing (when hosts are available)
UPDATED: BMC Clinic Closures and/or Consolidations
- Obstetrics and ATU moved to Yawkey 6
- Cardiac Surgery moved to Shapiro 3A General Surgery space
- Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy moved to telehealth as appropriate and moved in-person services and staff to Shapiro 4 Orthopedics
UPDATED: Outside Food Guideline and Offerings Near BMC’s Campus
Food can now be delivered to employees at BMC, but the items must be individually wrapped and the deliverer must be met outside the clinical building by an employee. A list of BMC cafeterias and restaurants within walking distance can be found under the Employee Center on the Hub. Please note that many restaurants are temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Visit the City of Boston's restaurant guide to learn more or call before visiting a restaurant.
Important Links and Contact Information
Command Center: 617-414-6860 (operating 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily)
Call for any needs related to COVID-19. Please note that this is only for employees.
Working Well Clinic: [email protected]
Staff and providers should use this email address to report symptoms of and possible exposure to COVID-19.
COVID-19 Information on the Hub: https://internal.bmc.org/news-events/news/where-find-information-about-covid-19-coronavirus-disease
This is our intranet and requires network access. Everything posted here related to COVID-19 is also posted on the external site listed below, including clinical guidelines, screening, testing, and PPE usage.
COVID-19 Information on BMC.org: https://www.bmc.org/covid-19-information-employees
This is hosted on the external website and is accessible when not on the network.