Daily COVID-19 Update: March 26, 2020
Please read today’s updates.
NEW: Universal Mask Policy
Because of the concern for widespread community transmission of COVID-19, effective tomorrow, March 27, all employees must wear a hospital-issued mask continuously throughout their shifts when at BMC in areas where clinical care is provided, and when delivering home care. When entering a BMC clinical building you will be given a mask and at the end of the shift, the mask will be disposed of upon exiting the building. Below are details around this policy:
- BMC and BUMG employees will receive a single surgical mask when entering the hospital.
- The hospital-issued daily mask must be worn throughout the shift except when caring for a COVID-19 patient at which time you should use the appropriate PPE (this document is available off campus via the COVID-19 site for employees here: https://www.bmc.org/covid-19-information-employees/ppe-policy-and-guidelines).
- Ensure that the mask covers your mouth and nose and avoid manipulating and touching the mask.
- Masks can be removed for eating and drinking in non-clinical areas but wear and re-use your hospital issued daily mask for your entire shift.
- Only replace the hospital mask if wet, visibly soiled, or damaged.
- Remember that hand hygiene remains an essential component of reducing spread of the COVID-19.
- If you develop COVID-19 symptoms which may include fever, sore throat, shortness of breath or a cough, please let your supervisor know right away.
NEW: Newton Pavilion To Be Temporarily Used To Meet COVID-19 Related Medical Needs of Area Homeless/p>
Governor Charlie Baker announced earlier today that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts will temporarily use the Newton Pavilion (now owned by the Commonwealth) to meet COVID-19 related medical needs of area homeless residents.
- The new facility will be planned and operated by a consortium of providers, including BMC, Boston Healthcare for the Homeless, shelters including the Pine Street Inn, and the City of Boston’s COVID-19 response team.
NEW: BMC Awarded Grant from the City of Boston
BMC has been awarded a $750,000 grant from the City of Boston’s Resiliency Fund, which was created to provide essential services to first responders, critical care providers, and Boston families whose health and well-being are most immediately impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
NEW: COVID-19 Information Page for Non-English Speakers Now Available
To help our patients who do not speak English learn more about COVID-19 and how to protect themselves and their families, we have created a page of resources available here: https://www.bmc.org/covid-19/covid-19-information-non-english-speakers. Please share these resources with your patients as necessary. Information in many languages is also available from the City of Boston and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
REMINDER: Staff Accommodations
A number of area hotels are offering a discounted rate for BMC employees who are interested in accommodations close to the hospital. Please note that the hospital will not reimburse staff for the cost of staying at a hotel or other option. The list of accommodations is available on the COVID-19 section of the Hub and on the COVID-19 Information for Employees section of BMC.org here: https://www.bmc.org/covid-19-information-employees/staff-accommodations.
We will continue to update the list as more accommodations become available. Staff should reach out to the hotels/apartments directly for booking.
HIPAA REMINDER: Ensuring the Security and Privacy of Patient Medical Records/PHI
You may only access or search for information needed to complete your job and nothing more.
- If you need a report related to COVID-19 please file a COVID-19 Request.
Important Links and Contact Numbers
Command Center: 617-414-6860 (operating 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily)
Call for any needs related to COVID-19. Please note that this is only for employees.
Working Well Clinic: [email protected]
Staff and providers should use this email address to report symptoms of and possible exposure to COVID-19.
COVID-19 Information on the Hub: https://internal.bmc.org/news-events/news/where-find-information-about-covid-19-coronavirus-disease
This is our intranet and requires network access. Everything posted here related to COVID-19 is also posted on the external site listed below, including clinical guidelines, screening, testing, and PPE usage.
COVID-19 Information on BMC.org: https://www.bmc.org/covid-19-information-employees
This is hosted on the external website and is accessible when not on the network.