Daily COVID-19 Update: March 17, 2020
Please read today’s updates below.
Important Links and Contacts
Command Center: 617-414-6860 (operating 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily)
Call for any needs related to COVID-19.
Working Well Clinic: [email protected]
Staff and providers should use this email address to report symptoms of and possible exposure to COVID-19.
COVID-19 Information on the Hub: https://internal.bmc.org/news-events/news/where-find-information-about-covid-19-coronavirus-disease
This is our intranet and requires network access. Everything posted here related to COVID-19 is also posted on the external site listed below, including clinical guidelines, screening, testing, and PPE usage.
COVID-19 Information on BMC.org: https://www.bmc.org/covid-19-information-employees
This is hosted on the external website and is accessible when not on the network.
UPDATED: Visitor Policy
- As of March 18, to protect the health of patients and staff, BMC is restricting all visitors to inpatient units and the Emergency Department, unless pre-approved by each patient’s care team under extenuating circumstances.
- Visitors under 18 are still prohibited from visiting any patients.
- Exceptions are OB, Pedi and Labor and Delivery (primary caregivers) – one visitor only
- If a visitor exception is approved for an inpatient by the care team, the visitor will be screened and will not be permitted to visit if they have symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
NEW: Added eMERGE (Epic) Functionality for COVID-19
- New tools have been moved into Epic to help with patient identification, “seeing” patients over the phone and patient education, and are available on the Hub here.
- We will provide additional updates as new tools are developed.
REMINDER: Mask Usage and Conservation
- No employee should have a mask on as they walk through the hospital unless they are caring for a patient on precautions in that patient’s room, or are transporting a patient on precautions. We need everyone’s help to conserve our supplies.
UPDATED: CDC Guidance on Meetings
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines released March 16 suggests limiting meetings and social gatherings to no more than 10 people.
- All departments and units across the hospital are now required to follow this guidance.
REMINDER: Influenza Like Illness (ILI) Clinic
- In its first day of operations yesterday, the ILI clinic saw 87 patients, with five of those patients needing additional care in the ED. We were on track to see even more today.
- Not all patients were tested after being screened.
- As a reminder, the ILI clinic is ONLY for our BMC patients needing non-emergency care, by referral from the ED.
- We will open to clinics by the end of this week.
- The ILI clinic is an important part of our ongoing efforts to manage the resources in our ED for the acutely ill and also to conserve PPE.
- Please note, because of the ILI clinic, Shapiro Café access will be available only via 2nd floor.
REMINDER: HIPAA and Disclosure of Patient Information, Including Social Media
- Federal and state laws about patient confidentiality (click to view new COVID-19 guidance) apply as normal during an infectious disease outbreak or other emergencies.
- Please remember that no hospital staff person is authorized to speak to the media without authorization from the Media Relations team (pager 1068).
- Social media policies also still apply during an infectious disease outbreak. No employee is allowed to share information about BMC patients or hospital business matters on any social media sites.