Daily COVID-19 Update: April 10, 2020
UPDATED: Confirmed COVID-19 Cases as of April 10
BMC Total Inpatients:
BMC Inpatients Requiring Intensive Care:
BMC Employees/Providers who have tested positive:
NEW: Kate Walsh Participation in MA Governor’s Daily Update
This afternoon Kate Walsh joined Governor Baker at his daily press conference to provide an update on what BMC has been doing to prepare for a COVID surge. Kate outlined our extensive preparation efforts, highlighted the importance of bending the curve across racial and ethnic groups, and talked about how we are scaling up to meet the needs of the homeless population via the East Newton Pavilion.
REMINDER: N95 Collection and Reprocessing
Tomorrow BMC will be delivering our first batch of N95s for reprocessing to Battelle, which will perform sterilization with vaporized hydrogen peroxide (VHP). This method has been validated by testing from MGH and the National Emerging Infectious Disease Laboratory (NEIDL). New masks are being labeled with our site code (BDW-00) by employees wearing gloves and face masks. The sterilized N95s will be returned to BMC in 2-3 days.
This is a critical process to extend our supply of N95s for the duration of the pandemic. We ask that all healthcare workers:
- Return used N95’s in designated collection bins. These are located in all clinical areas (often in soiled utility). Please ONLY put N95s in these bins. Our current collection rate of N95s is 25% and we are targeting 80%+ returns.
- Please refrain from using make-up/skincare products. N95s that are soiled will be discarded. We are finding ~20% of collected N95’s are being rejected due to make-up and skincare products, which reduces our future supply.
REMINDER: N95 Re-Use
All healthcare workers providing care on COVID+ ICU, in the ED, or conducting aerosolizing procedures will be issued one N95 respirator per shift and a Tupperware container, which should be used to store the N95 between uses, following the prescribed procedures. Please review the detailed procedures on the Emergency Management COVID Hub page.
UPDATE: PPE Guidance for Non-COVID Floors
As COVID-19 continues to be widespread within our community and our hospital, we recognize the importance of transmission from asymptomatic persons in spreading disease. We understand that patients admitted to the hospital for an unrelated reason may still have the potential to have an asymptomatic COVID-19 infection.
To provide additional protection for our hospital employees, we are now expanding use of eye protection to floors and units with patients who are not confirmed to be COVID positive or under investigation.
New PPE recommendation for non-COVID floors:
- Surgical mask (extended use)
- Gloves (donned and doffed with each patient encounter)
- Reusable face shield
- Gowns (only if gross contamination from body fluids are expected)
UPDATE: East Newton Pavilion Now Open
The East Newton Pavilion is now providing shelter-level care to patients testing COVID positive, which will help remove them from the general shelter population and blunt the spread of disease. Last night, 17 people were moved to the Newton Pavilion from BMC inpatient units as well as from Boston Health Care for the Homeless. If you believe you have a patient who would qualify, please work with your unit Care Manager. Thank you again to the many teams and individuals who have been and continue to work around the clock to prepare the East Newton Pavilion to help those in need.
NEW: Epic Functionality Related to COVID-19
We continue to make updates to Epic to support your needs amidst the changing nature of the COVID-19 pandemic. Recent modifications include improvements to viewing external results, attending level assessment of COVID probability, palliative care tools and VNA documentation.
There will be additional updates as we develop new tools, and they will be available on the eMERGE announcements page of the Hub. If you have any technical problems or suggestions, please enter a ticket with the IT Service Desk:
REMINDER: BMC Food Pantry Available for Employees
BMC’s food pantry is extending its services to all employees in our health system and their households to provide access to nutritious food when it’s needed most. Should you or any of your team members require additional nutrition resources, the Food Pantry has created an easy 2 step process:
- Contact Latchman Hiralall by phone (617-414-3834) or by email ([email protected]) to schedule a pickup appointment.
- When you arrive for your pickup: briefly display your BMC badge for proof of employment, state the number of members in your household and any allergies or food restrictions.
The BMC Food Pantry is located in the basement level of the Yawkey Building. Appointments can be made every two weeks, as needed. Click here for a printable flyer to post in your area in English, Spanish, and Haitian Creole.
UPDATE: Free Offerings for Health Care Workers
In response to the rapidly evolving pandemic, companies across the country are stepping up to do what they can to help those on the frontlines. Here are a few offerings currently available:
- Healthworks: Free virtual membership from April 1 to July 1, which includes both live and on-demand classes. Email [email protected] from your hospital email address for access.
- Cumberland Farms: Free hot or iced coffee
- BP and Amoco: 50 cents off per gallon for healthcare workers
- Blue Bikes: A free 30-day pass for hospital staff. Sign up here using code BUMCBLUE.
- Headspace: Free access to Headspace Plus
- Starbucks: Free tall brewed hot or iced coffee through May 3
- Core Power Yoga: Free access to a new collection of classes every week
Important Links and Contact Numbers
Command Center: 617-414-6860 (operating 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily)
Call for any needs related to COVID-19. Please note that this is only for employees.
Working Well Clinic: [email protected]
Staff and providers should use this email address to report symptoms of and possible exposure to COVID-19.
COVID-19 Information on the Hub: https://internal.bmc.org/news-events/news/where-find-information-about-covid-19-coronavirus-disease
This is our intranet and requires network access. Everything posted here related to COVID-19 is also posted on the external site listed below, including clinical guidelines, screening, testing, and PPE usage.
COVID-19 Information on BMC.org: https://www.bmc.org/covid-19-information-employees
This is hosted on the external website and is accessible when not on the network.