How to Teach Your Child to Ride a Bike
Is it time to take the training wheels off your child's bike?
Learning to ride a bike can be a rewarding milestone in your child's life. Follow these simple steps, along with words of encouragement, to teach your child to ride a bike in a safe and fun way.
- Go to your local bike shop or department store and have your child fitted for the appropriate bike.
- Make sure your child has a helmet that fits correctly (sits level across the middle of the forehead).
- Find the correct place to teach riding. Anywhere that is large, traffic free, flat, and smooth will work.
- Have your child sit on the seat, hold onto the handle bars, and stretch their feet out straight to either side of the bike. Then, you push the bike. This helps them gain a sense of balance.
- Once balanced, it is time to start using the pedals. Have your child start from a stop position and hold onto their shoulder or bike saddle while they pedal.
When your child masters the skill of riding a bike, they will want to go on longer rides. Riding bikes together can be a fun activity for the summertime. Bring some snacks and stop at a park for a picnic along the way.