Breadcrumbs that show current page
"Diverse leadership and teams are key to fostering respect, collaboration, and innovation and in turn to providing the highest quality health care. BMC's rich history of diversity and inclusion allows us to serve the needs of our patients today and to prepare for the future."
- CEO, Kate Walsh
Diversity Is At Our Core
Boston Medical Center is committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive workplace where employees are valued and engaged, not in spite of, but because of, our differences – whether seen or unseen.
We believe that there is strength in diversity. Diversity enables the success of our mission; ensuring that we are a caring, open place to work and that our employees reflect the communities we serve.
Meet Latchman Hiralall, Food Pantry Manager
After emigrating from Guyana 29 years ago Latchman Hiralall began working at BMC, which has been his first and only place of employment since then. During his time at BMC, he has earned his degree in Food Systems Management and is now a registered dietetic technician. He spends most of his day helping to give dietary-restricted food to patients who are referred to him by their clinicians. Patients are referred by their clinicians for a balance of fresh and packaged food to support their unique dietary needs.
The food pantry currently serves an average of 7,000 patients per month and brings in approximately 12,000 pounds of food each week from the Greater Boston Food Bank and other sources, such as Ocean State Job Lot.
Meet Ligardine Myrthal, former patient at BMC
Ligardine Myrthal's life turned tragic when she was rushed to the operating room for an emergency cesarean section. Her unborn baby's heart had stopped beating and now every second was crucial to the baby's survival. Her daughter, Serena, was born moments later, limp and virtually lifeless.
After seventeen agonizing minutes, Serena's heart began beating; however, BMC's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit knew that only extraordinary measures could save Serena from a lifetime of disability due to the oxygen deprivation her brain had suffered. In response, the team initiated a Cool Cap protocol to rapidly cool Serena’s brain using flowing water for three days. Serena is now growing into a happy toddler.
Over 15 years ago we established International Cultural Diversity Week; a celebration of fun and education that provides an avenue for employees to celebrate their differences through food, art, and entertainment.
We are proud to provide hands-on training for approximately 800 talented interns from various backgrounds on an annual basis. Through registered school affiliations, interns from 62 colleges and universities are placed in clinical and non-clinical departments, which can range from Emergency Medicine and Pathology, to Acupuncture and Social Work/Care Management.
Every year, we recognize employees as YMCA Achievers for their unwavering commitment to volunteering their time and talents to help develop teens from diverse backgrounds.
Diversity In Action
Office of Minority Physician Recruitment: Established to recruit and retain underrepresented minority physicians. Watch The Video
Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery: Comprehensive trans-friendly services including behavioral health, endocrinology and surgery.
Women's Health Group: State-of-the-art women's services aimed at providing health care to women across the social spectrum.
BMC has long-term relationships with many diverse community based service organizations and professional associations connected to careers in health care, education and programs for youth.
- Big Sister Association of Boston
- Boston Area Health Education Center (BAHEC)
- Boston Collegiate Charter High School
- Boston Private Industry Council’s Job Shadow Day
- Cristol Rey Boston High School
- Madison Park Development Corporation
- NAACP (Boston Chapter) Summer Job Pipeline to Leadership Youth Program
- 5th Annual Urban League of Eastern Massachusetts' Jobs Rebuild Boston Community Conference and Career Fair
We are proud to partner with organizations that share our commitment to community and professional development.
- Asian American Civic Association Annual Gala
- Black History Breakfast, Multicultural Symposium Series
- Boston Business Journal’s Leaders in Diversity
- Color Magazine’s Annual Diversity and Inclusion Programs
- Greater Boston Muslim Health Initiative
- NEHRA’s Annual Diversity & Inclusion Gala
- Roxbury YMCA Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Celebration
- YWCA Boston’s 21st Annual Academy of Women Achievers Celebration Luncheon
- YWCA Lead Boston Class at BUMC
- YMCA Training Inc., Annual Partners Celebration Breakfast
Awards and Recognitions