Stroke & Cerebrovascular Center
72 East Concord Street, C3,
Helena Lau, RN, BSN, MsPH
Research Coordinator, Stroke Service, Department of Neurology at Boston University- School of Medicine, Boston MA
Aug 1997- Apr 2000: Project Coordinator, Appetek Research Group (Duke University investigators), Durham NC.
May 1994 - Aug 1997: Industry trial regulatory and research associate positions.
Sept 1992 - May 1994: Research Assistant, UNC-Chapel Hill- School of Medicine, Chapel Hill NC
May 1989– July 1990: Pediatric Clinical Coordinator, Lincoln Community Health Center, Durham, NC.
Sept 1986 – Apr 1988: Registered Nurse, Allergy Associates, Austin, TX
June 1982– Aug 1986: Charge Nurse, New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, NY, NY.
Helena Lau graduated from the University of Rochester in 1982 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing and worked 8 years in clinical, educational, and management positions at major medical centers. After receiving her graduate degree in Epidemiology in 1993 from the School of Public Health at UNC-Chapel Hill, she worked in diverse research positions including regulatory support for industry trials, data collection and management for NIH-funded trials, grant writing for academic institution, and research project management. In 2003, Helena Lau joined the Stroke Service at Boston Medical Center as the Research Coordinator with management responsibilities for external clinical trials as well as internal research projects. In 2005, she directed the collaborative process for DPH certification of BMC as a primary stroke care center. Recent research interests and collaborations posted under ‘Publications.’
1. JR Romero, H Lau, M Winter, CS Kase, A Morrison, TN Nguyen, A Pikula, J Viereck, VL Babikian. Disparities in acute stroke care: role of race and insurance status (Accepted abstract AAN 2010)
2. White CL, Szychowski JM, Talbert R, Holzemer E, Lau H, McClure LA. Self-Rating of Health and Adherence to Secondary Stroke Prevention Medications in the Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Strokes Trial. International Stroke Conference, San Antonio, February 2010.; Stroke 2010, 41:e290.
3. JR Romero, H Lau, A Pikula, H Artinian, TN Nguyen, M Ogrodnik, F Koyfman, CS Kase, VL Babikian. Factors Affecting Inequality In Acute Stroke Care In An Urban Hospital (Accepted Abstract ISC 2011)
4. JD Burns, DM Green, H Lau, M Winter, F Koyfman, C M DeFusco, JW Holsapple, CS Kase. The Effect of a Neurocritical Care Service without a Dedicated Neuro-ICU on Quality of Care in Intracerebral Hemorrhage. (Accepted Abstract NCC 2011)
5. F Koyfman, H Lau, M Ogrodnik, JR Romero, CS Kase, A Pikula. Pelvic Magnetic Resonance Venography for Detection of Deep Vein Thrombosis in Young Patients with Cryptogenic Ischemic Stroke and Patent Foramen Ovale (Accepted Abstract ISC 2011)
6. H Lau, CL White, C Coffey, M Ogrodnik, JR Romero, VL Babikian, A Pikula, CS Kase, O Benavente. Benefits of clinical trial participation for risk factor control: Experience from the SPS3 Study (Accepted Abstract ISC 2011, pending journal acceptance)
7. A Pikula, T McIntire, H Lau, M Ogrodnik, JR Romero, CS Kase. Intracerebral Hemorrhage in the Young: Risk Factors and Locations (Accepted Abstract AAN 2011)
8. Benavente O, Kase C, Arboix A, Roquer J, Castellanos M, McClure L, Lau H, Roldan A, Hart R, White C. The short-term functional outcomes in patients with lacunar stroke. Observations from the SPS3 study. International Stroke Conference, Los Angeles, CA, February 2011. Stroke, 2011 (page e243, abstract number W P299).
9. AM Cervantes-Arslanian, JD Burns, DM Green, H Lau, VL Babikian, A Pikula, CS Kase. Case Series of Patients with HIV-Associated Intracerebral Hemorrhage (Accepted Abstract NCC 2012)
10. AM Cervantes-Arslanian, H Lau, JR Romero, TN Nguyen, VL Babikian, CS Kase, A Pikula. Risk Factor Profile of HIV Patients with Ischemic Stroke (Accepted Abstract AAN 2012)
11. The SPS3 Investigators. Effects of Clopidogrel Added to Aspirin in Patients with Recent Lacunar Stroke. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:817-25.
12. JD Burns, DM Green, H Lau, M Winter, F Koyfman, C DeFusco, JW. Holsapple, et al. The Effect of a Neurocritical Care Service without a Dedicated Neuro-ICU on Quality of Care in Intracerebral Hemorrhage. Neurocrit Care (2013) 18:305-312
13. The SPS3 Study Group. Blood-pressure targets in patients with recent lacunar stroke: the SPS3 randomised trial. Lancet 2013; 382: 507-515. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60852-1
14. L Catanese, A Shoamanesh, M Rayhill, H Lau, JR Romero, VL Babikian, OR Benavente, CS Kase, A Pikula. Prevalence and Determinants of White Matter Hyperintensities in Young Stroke Patients (Accepted Abstract AAN 2013)
15. A Pikula, F Un Candan, H Lau, JRomero, TN Nguyen, VL Babikian, CS Kase Risk Factor Prevalence in a Young Stroke Population: Get With the Guidelines (Abstract AAN 2013)
16. M Rayhill, A Shoamanesh, L Catanese, H Lau, JR Romero, VL Babikian, CS Kase, A Pikula. The Vascular Topography of Ischemic Stroke in Young Patients (Abstract AAN 2013)
17. R Salem, A Pikula, H Lau, JR Romero, VL Babikian, CS Kase. Discharge Outcomes of Ischemic Stroke Patients with Diabetes: Get With the Guidelines (Abstract AAN 2013)
18. M Mercado, H Lau, CS kase, T Nguyen. Administration of IV Fluids in Acute Ischemic Stroke (Abstract ESC 2013)
19. A Shoamanesh, L Catanese, H Lau, N Wang, JR Romero, VL. Babikian, OR Benavente, CS Kase, A Pikula. Radiographic Markers of Small Vessel Disease in Young Stroke Patients (Abstract ISC 2014)
20. A Shoamanesh, H Masoud, K Weed, K Duerfeldt, H Lau, JR. Romero, A Pikula, P Teal, T Nguyen, CS Kase, VL. Babikian. Anterior Cerebral Artery Diameter Predicts Anterior Cerebral Artery Territorial Stroke. (Abstract ISC 2014)
21. A Pikula, CS Coffey, H Lau, CL. White, CS. Kase, OR Benavente. Risk of Stroke and Vascular Events and Response to Antiplatelet Therapy in Young Adults with Recent Lacunar Strokes: The SPS3 Study (Abstract ISC 2014)
22. CL White, JM Szychowski, PE Pergola, HW Lau, OR Benavente. Safety and Effectiveness of Intensive Blood Pressure Management in the Elderly: Findings from the Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Stroke (SPS3) Trial (Abstract ISC 2014)
23. L Catanese, A Shoamanesh, H Lau, JR Romero, VL Babikian, CS Kase, A Pikula.
24. S Zhu, L McClure, A Pikula, H Lau, C Kase, C White, V Babikian, J Romero, T Nguyen, O Benavente. Metabolic Syndrome in Patients with Lacunar Stroke: The SPS3 trial. (Abstract ESC 2014)
25. JD Burns, R Sestokas, C Carr, H Lau, DM Green, A Cervantes, R Salem, CS Kase
26. L Catanese, A Shoamanesh, H Lau, J Romero, V Babikian, C Kase, A Pikula. Predictors of Hypertensive Changes on MRI in a Young Stroke Population. (Abstract ESC 2014)
27. Shoamanesh A, Masoud H, Furey K, Duerfeldt K, Lau H, Romero JR, Pikula A, Teal P, Nguyen TN, Kase CS, Babikian VL. Larger a1/m1 diameter ratio predicts embolic anterior cerebral artery territorial stroke. Stroke 2014;45(9):2798-800
28. Romero JR, Lau H, Winters MR, Pikula A, Nguyen TN, Kase CS, Babikian VL. Disparities in acute stroke care: role of race and insurance status. Global J of Epid and Public Health (Dec 2014); 1(2): 35-41.
29. Lau H, Coffey C, Kase CS, Babikian VL, Pikula A, Romero JR, Nguyen T, Benavente OR, on behalf of the SPS3 investigators. Clinical Trial Participation and Health Behavior Modification: Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Strokes (SPS3). J Neurological Disorders and Stroke. February 6, 2015.