Stroke & Cerebrovascular Center
Clinical Instructions — Discharge Instructions Following a
Cerebral, Head or Neck Angiogram
- Go home and rest quietly for the remainder of the day. DO NOT drive or make legal decisions today. You may resume normal activities tomorrow.
- You must have a responsible adult drive you home.
- You may resume your normal diet after the procedure. Drink extra fluids today (6 to 8 glasses), unless otherwise instructed by your physician. This will encourage the excretion of the contrast material. Avoid alcoholic beverages and depressant drugs for 24 hours.
- If you develop bleeding at the site, lie flat and put direct pressure on the site for 15 minutes. You may also put an ice pack at the entry site at the time you apply pressure. If the bleeding persists, reapply pressure. Call 911 and have the ambulance take you to the closest Emergency Department.
- You may have a lump the size of an olive or peanut shell under your skin at the insertion site. Some skin discoloration and mild tenderness at the insertion site is normal. Bruising will gradually fade within 1-2 weeks. If bruising increases in size or swells, you should notify your physician's office.
- DO NOT smoke for 24 hours after the procedure or preferably, indefinitely.
- We will call you to schedule a follow-up appointment. We will notify your referring physician with your results.
- If you have any questions or concerns please call 617.638.6595 from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm Monday-Friday. If you cannot reach your physician in an emergency, go to the hospital closest to your home.