- Chronic kidney disease collaborative management with development of a personalized clinical plan for patients with progressive renal failure;
- Hematuria and proteinuria consultations by faculty recognized internationally for expertise in glomerular disease, autoimmune diseases, amyloidosis and vasculitis;
- Diabetic nephropathy diagnostic and therapeutic services to detect incipient renal disease in diabetic patients and identify those who would benefit from early therapy;
- Complete evaluation of renal stone disease consisting of a thorough metabolic evaluation, anatomic and surgical evaluations when appropriate, and development of a case-specific report of risk factors and therapeutic options;
- Evaluations of renovascular hypertension and other secondary causes of hypertension making use of magnetic resonance angiography and other state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging and biochemical techniques;
- Evaluation and management of patients with hypertension that is difficult to control or is associated with renal insufficiency.
Dialysis care for your ongoing needs can be obtained from dialysis centers located in the region. A list of centers is available at http://www.medicare.gov/dialysisfacilitycompare/. Some of these centers also offer a peritoneoal dialysis program. Peritoneal dialysis is performed by patients at home, enabling patients to remain independent and continue working. Our team can assist you in finding a center that meets your unique needs. We also can coordinate with your primary care physician and with the dialysis center to meet your ongoing needs.
Over the past decade, more than 400 cadaver and living-related-donor kidney transplants have been performed under the auspices of the Boston Medical Center Kidney Transplant Program. Our physicians provide medical support from the initial evaluation, through peri- and post-operative management and long-term transplant follow-up.
Our inpatient service cares for patients with renal problems such as acid-base and electrolyte abnormalities, stone and hypertensive disorders, acute glomerulonephritis and vasculitis, post-operative and other forms of acute renal failure, chronic renal insufficiency and ESRD. All dialysis modalities, including continuous therapies (CVVHD), intermittent hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis are available at Boston Medical Center.