The mission of the Department of Pharmacy is to provide, within accepted professional stand- ards and ethics, those services that utilize the Department's unique body of knowledge of drugs and drug systems, with the exception of radiopharmaceuticals, to support the goals of the institution.
- Assuring that patients at BMC for whom drug therapy is indicated receive the most appropriate drug therapy so as to maximize the desired therapeutic outcomes, while minimizing negative outcomes, in a cost-effective manner.
- Serving as a resource of drug information and education for the institution.
- Being responsible for the acquisition, distribution, and control of all drugs on BMC premises, including drugs used in clinical research, according to applicable laws and regulations
Pharmaceutical Care Services
- BMC inpatient pharmacists deliver care in a decentralized model during Monday – Friday from 7 am to 8 pm. On evenings, nights and weekends order verification and medication distribution are handled in a centralized model.
- BMC inpatient pharmacists provide discharge counseling and telephone follow-up calls for patients admitted for targeted disease states to decrease re-admission rates.
- Clinical drug information services are provided 24/7 utilizing an on-call pager which is responded to by the residents with back-up from clinical specialists.
- BMC pharmacists work collaboratively with nurses, physicians and the IT department to develop easy-to-use, evidence-based treatment protocols and order sets
- An Emergency Department satellite provides distributive and clinical services to the Trauma, Acute, Non-Acute, and Pediatric ERs Monday – Friday from 9 am to 9 pm with planned expansion in hours of operation.
- A pediatric satellite provides clinical and distributive services to the pediatric areas 7 days a week from 7 am to 11 pm
- BMC utilizes technicians, students and automation to provide exceptional drug distribution services. Automated systems include Pyxis machines, with a drug storage carousel, IV Verify - an IV medication bar coding system, fully interfaced inpatient CPOE, Emergency Department CPOE and interfaced outpatient medical records and e-prescribing for our clinic and discharged patients.