The mission of the Department of Pharmacy is to provide, within accepted professional standards and ethics, those services that utilize the Department's unique body of knowledge of drugs and drug systems, with the exception of radiopharmaceuticals, to support the goals of the institution.
- Assuring that patients at BMC for whom drug therapy is indicated receive the most appropriate drug therapy so as to maximize the desired therapeutic outcomes, while minimizing negative outcomes, in a cost-effective manner.
- Serving as a resource of drug information and education for the institution.
- Being responsible for the acquisition, distribution, and control of all drugs on BMC premises, including drugs used in clinical research, according to applicable laws and regulations
Pharmaceutical Care Services
- BMC inpatient pharmacists deliver care in a decentralized model during Monday – Friday from 7 am to 9:30 pm. On evenings, nights and weekends order verification and medication distribution are handled in a centralized model.
- BMC inpatient pharmacists provide discharge counseling and telephone follow-up calls for patients admitted for targeted disease states to decrease re-admission rates.
- Clinical drug information services are provided 24/7 utilizing an on-call pager which is responded to by the residents with back-up from clinical specialists.
- BMC pharmacists work collaboratively with nurses, physicians and the IT department to develop easy-to-use, evidence-based treatment protocols and order sets
- An Emergency Department satellite provides distributive and clinical services to the Trauma, Acute, Non-Acute, and Pediatric ERs Monday – Friday from 9 am to 9 pm with planned expansion in hours of operation.
- A pediatric satellite provides clinical and distributive services to the pediatric areas 7 days a week from 7 am to 3:30 pm
- BMC utilizes technicians, students and automation to provide exceptional drug distribution services. Automated systems include Pyxis machines, with a drug storage carousel, DoseEdge - an IV medication bar coding system, fully interfaced inpatient CPOE, Emergency Department CPOE and interfaced outpatient medical records and e-prescribing for our clinic and discharged patients.