Pulmonary and Allergy Clinic staff have taken part in numerous local and national research studies concerning current questions in asthma and allergy. Specifically, Suzanne Steinbach and Lois Doerr worked on the NIH-sponsored Inner-City Asthma Study project which showed that home allergen control reduces asthma symptoms for inner-city children and that better communication between physicians and families about asthma symptoms improves asthma control as well. Related publications include:
1. Werk LN, Steinbach S, Adams WG, Bauchner H. Beliefs about diagnosing asthma in young children. Pediatrics 2000;105:585-90.
2. Bauchner H, Steinbach S. Research and asthma: were do we go from here?
3. Steinbach S. Controversies in pediatric asthma care.
4. Wright RJ, Steinbach S. Violence: an unrecognized environmental exposure that may contribute to greater asthma morbidity in high risk inner-city populations.
5. Brugge D, Carranza L, Steinbach S, Wendel A, Hyde J. Environmental management of asthma at Massachusetts managed care organizations.
6. Brugge D, Vallarino J, Ascolillo L, Osgood N, Steinbach S, Spengler J. Comparison of multiple environmental factors for asthmatic children in public housing.
7. Levy J, Welker-Hood L, Clougherty J, Dodson R, Steinbach S, Hynes H. Lung function, asthma symptoms and quality of life for children in public housing in Boston: a case-series analysis. Environ Health. 2004;3:13.
8. Brugge D, Hyde J, Weinbach B, Levy J, Steinbach S. The economic benefit of including environmental issues as a component of comprehensive asthma care: A managed care perspective. Disease Management & Health Outcomes. 2004; 12:1-14.
9. Gruchalla R, Pongracic J, Plaut M, Evans R, Visness C, Walter M, Crain E, Kattan M, Morgan W, Steinbach S, Stout J, Malindzak G, Smartt E, Mitchell H. Inner City Asthma Study: relationships among sensitivity, allergen exposure and asthma morbidity.
10. Kattan M, Crain E, Steinbach S, Visness C, et al. A randomized clinical trial of clinician feedback to improve quality of care for inner-city children with asthma.
11. Gruchalla, Sampson, Matsui, Steinbach et al. Predicting asthma morbidity in inner-city residents with asthma. Role of FeNO and other factors. Accepted for publication in Pediatrics.