Health Leads / Project Baby
In February 1999, Health Leads (formerly Project Health) volunteers created Project Baby to provide information and advocacy for families of the 2,000 babies born in Boston Medical Center's BirthPlace every year.
Project Baby Volunteers
- Connect families with housing, food, health insurance, cash assistance and child care
- Provide information on specific newborn needs, including car seats, baby clothes and birth certificates
- Educate families about breast feeding
- Address parents' concerns through a staffed family-resource room
- Develop relationships with families, allowing for follow-up after the mother and child's hospital visit.