Center for Minimally Invasive Esophageal Therapies
Meet the Team
Your health care team is a group of highly trained experts who will work together to provide state-of-the-art care. The team that will be caring for you includes many professionals from several disciplines and specialties. Some of those who will be participating in your care are:
- Thoracic surgeons. Your thoracic surgeon will perform your surgery and be in charge of your care.
- Thoracic surgery nurse practitioners. A nurse practitioner will serve as a liaison between you, your thoracic surgeon and other health care providers to help ensure the best possible care.
- Thoracic surgery administrative assistant. He or she will arrange your appointments and diagnostic tests and send communications from your surgeon to your primary care physician and your other health care providers.
- Thoracic surgery fellows, residents and physicians assistants. The thoracic surgery team will work together with your surgeon and the nurse practitioner to manage your care in the hospital. You will see members of the team throughout the day during your hospitalization.
- Anesthesiologists. The anesthesiologist is the doctor who gives you the medications that allow you to sleep during the operation. You will have a scheduled appointment with an anesthesia physician before the surgery to discuss your medical history and review the anesthesia medications.
- Registered nurses. The nurses will provide nursing care during your surgery and hospital stay. Nurses will be caring for you during all phases of your hospitalization.
- Care managers. Care managers will be involved in assessing your needs for when you leave the hospital. They will make arrangements if you need placement in a rehabilitation facility, the service of visiting nurses at home, physical therapy or home medical equipment.
- Physical therapists. Physical therapists will work with you after your surgery to assist in getting you up and walking about safely.
BMC Campus Virtual Tour