Direct Access Endoscopy
BMC’s Endoscopy Center offers Direct Access Endoscopy to referring physicians to expedite patient care. Please refer to the forms and instructions below.
TO: Referring Providers
FROM: David Lichtenstein M.D., Director of Endoscopy Open Access Endoscopy
RE: Scheduling Protocol
- Complete a Patient Referral Form and call to schedule the procedure.
Referrals must be made by provider's office only.
Menino Pavilion: HP-2
Call: 617.638.6525, select 1
Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Important information on the referral form includes your name, method for communicating results to your office, indication for the procedure, physician preference for performing the procedure, need for antibiotic prophylaxis, medication list, and any other pertinent medical comorbidities.
- Patients must be given appropriate instructions for preparation (written instructions are enclosed and can be provided from the Endoscopy Center when requested).
- Non-English speaking patients must be accompanied by a translator, or the scheduling secretary must be informed in advance of the need for an interpreter.
- Iron therapy should be discontinued one week prior to a lower GI procedure but can be continued for upper endoscopy procedures.
- There is no need to discontinue aspirin or other NSAID medications prior to endoscopic procedures unless specifically requested by the endoscopist.
- Patients on anticoagulation or non-aspirin antiplatelet therapy should be identified to make sure appropriate adjustments are made prior to the procedure.
- Patients will receive moderate sedation or monitored anesthesia care (MAC) for most endoscopic procedures. Under most circumstances flexible sigmoidoscopy does not require sedation to maintain patient comfort. All patients receiving sedation cannot drive after the procedure and must be accompanied home from the procedure by an adult friend or family member.
- Antibiotic prophylaxis if not recommended for endoscopic procedures with the exception of PEG/PEJ placement and selected individuals undergoing ERCP and EUS.
Direct Booking Form (PDF)
Preparation For EUS (PDF)
Preparation For EUS (Spanish) (PDF)
Rectal EUS Preparation (PDF)
Preparation For ERCP (PDF)
Preparation For ERCP (Spanish) (PDF)
Appropriate Use of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (PDF)
Colonoscopy Preparation Instructions (PDF)
Colonoscopy Preparation (Spanish) (PDF)
Upper Endoscopy Preparation (PDF)
Upper Endoscopy (Spanish) (PDF)
Advanced Endoscopic Procedures (PDF)
Sigmoidoscopy Preparation (PDF)
Sigmoidoscopy Preparation (Spanish) (PDF)