1. Levine GN, Frei B, Koulouris SN, Gerhard MD, Keaney JF, Jr., Vita JA. Ascorbic acid reverses endothelial dysfunction in patients with coronary artery disease. Circulation 1996; 96: 1107-1113.
2. Vita JA, Frei B, Holbrook M, Gokce N, Leaf C, Keaney JF Jr. L-2-oxothiazolidihne-4-carboxylic acid reverses endothelial dysfuntion in patients with coronary artery disease. J Clin Invest 1998; 101:1408-1414.
3. Vita JA, Keaney JF, Jr., Raby KE, Morrow JD, Lynch S, Koulouris SN, Hankin B, Frei B. Low plasma ascorbic acid independently predicts the presence of an unstable coronary syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol 1998; 31: 980-986.
4. Freedman JE, Ting B, Hankin B, Loscalzo J, Keaney JF, Jr., Vita JA. Impaired platelet production of nitric oxide in patients with an unstable coronary syndrome. Circulation 1998; 98: 1481-1486.
5. Mannion TC, Vita JA, Keaney JF, Jr., Benjamin EJ, Hunter L, Polak J. Non-invasive assessment of brachial artery endothelial function: Effect of cuff position on level of discomfort and vasomotor responses. Vascular Medicine (in press).
1. Keaney JF, Jr., Gaziano JM, Xu A, Frei B, Curran-Celentano J, Shwaery GT, Loscalzo J, Vita JA. Dietary antioxidants preserve endothelium-dependent vessel relaxation in hypercholeserolemic rabbits. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA) 1993; 90:11880-11884.
2. Keaney JF, Jr., Gaziano JM, Xu A, Frei B, Curran-Celentano J, Shwaery GT, Loscalzo J, Vita JA. Low dose alpha tocopherol improves and high dose alpha tocopherol worsens endothelial vasodilaor function in cholesterol-fed rabbits. J Clin Invest 1994; 93: 844-851.
3. Keaney JF, Jr., Shwaery GT, Xu A, Nicolosi RJ, Loscalzo J, Foxall TL, Vita JA. 17-B-estradiol preserves endothelial vasodilator function and limits LDL oxidation in hypercholesterolemic swine. Circulation 1994; 89: 2251-2259.
4. Keaney JF, Jr., Xu A, Cunningham DC, Jackson T, Frei B, Vita JA. Dietary Probucol preserves endothelial function in cholesterol-fed rabbits by limiting vascular oxidative tress and superoxide production. J. Clin Invest 1995; 95:2520-2529.
5. Burchenal JEB, Keaney JF, Jr., Curran-Celentano J, Gaziano JM, Vita JA, The lack of effect of beta carotene on restenosis in cholesterol-fed rabbits. Atherosclerosis 1996; 123:157-167.
6. Keaney JF, Jr., Gue Y, Cunningham D, Shwaery G, Xu A, Vita JA. Vascular incorporation of alpha-tocopherol prevents endothelial dysfunction due to oxidized LDL by inhibiting protein kinase C stimulation. J Clin Invest 1996; 98:386-494.
7. Shwaery GT, Vita JA, Keaney JF, Jr., Antioxidant protection of low density lipoprotein by physiological concentratins of 17-beta-estradiol: Requirement for estradiol modification. Circulation 1997; 95: 1378-1385.
8. Lynch SM, Morrow JD, Xu A, Jackson T, Reyna R, Klevay LM, Vita JA, Frei B, Keaney JF, Jr., Vascular superoxide dismutase deficiency impairs endothelial vasodilator function through directed inactivation of nitric oxide and increased lipid peroxidation. Arterio Thromb Vasc Biol 1997; 17: 2975-2981.
9. Shwaery GT, Vita JA, Keaney JF, Jr. Antioxidant Protection of LDL by Physiologic concentrations of Estrogens Is Specific for 17Beta-Estradiol. Atherosclerosis 1998; 138: 255-262.
10. Lazar HL, Volpe C, Bao Y, Rivers S, Vita JA, Keaney JF, Jr., Beneficial effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors during acute revascularization. Ann Thorac Surg 1998; 66: 487-492.
11. Jackson TS, Xu A, Vita JA, Keaney JF, Jr., Ascorbate prevents the interaction of superoxide and nitric oxide only at high physiologic concentrations. Circ Research 1998; 83:916-922.
1. Levine GN, Keaney JF, Jr., Vita JA. Cholesterol reduction in cardiovascular disease: Clinical benefits and possible mechanisms. N Engl J Med 1995; 332:512-521.
2. Keaney JF, Jr., Vita JA. Atherosclerosis, Oxidative Stress and Antioxidant Protection in EDRF Action. Prog. Cardiovas Dis 1995; 38:129-154.
3. Diaz MN, Frei B, Vita JA, Keaney JF, Jr. Antioxidants and atherosclerotic heart disease: New insights into potential mechanisms. N Engl J Med 1997; 337: 408-416.
4. Charo S, Gokce N, Vita JA. Endothelial dysfunction and coronary risk reduction. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation 1998: 18: 60-67.
Back to Coronary Health Unit Homepage