Appropriate Candidates for the Program
Patients who have recently had a heart attack, coronary artery disease, valve repair/replacement, coronary artery bypass graft surgery, coronary angioplasty, stent or heart transplant may all benefit from cardiac rehabilitation.
Patients may join the program soon after an event. For questions regarding eligibility, call Carol McNally at 617.638.8788.
The Goals and Length of Program
Goals of the program are to increase physical endurance, muscular strength, improve mood, and importantly, reduce future risk of heart disease.
The program consists of two to three 1-hour exercise sessions per week for approximately twelve weeks. Sessions include exercise, nutrition counseling and education. Each program is tailored to meet a patient’s individual needs.
We provide each patient with:
- Initial assessment by a cardiologist
- Exercise testing (stress test)
- Supervised exercise training
- Personal nutrition evaluation and weight management
- Cholesterol screening and management
- Tobacco treatment counseling
- Risk-factor modification and education
- Periodic reports to referring physicians
- A three-month transition program is available to interested participants who wish to extend their time in cardiac rehabilitation