Welcome to the Department of Anesthesiology!
The Department of Anesthesiology at Boston Medical Center strives to offer exceptional care without exception to patients undergoing surgery and chronic pain-related procedures and those requiring critical care. Boston Medical Center performs over 20,000 cases per year of all types, including pediatric and obstetrical procedures and complex minimally-invasive, robotically assisted cardiac and urological operations. BMC is a nationally recognized Level One trauma center.
The Department of Anesthesiology has had a number of recent achievements, including:
- Publishing a variety of scholarly publications in the past academic year. Members of the faculty contributed chapters in textbooks and our New England Journal of Medicine publication on "Monitoring Ventilation with Capnography" has received excellent reviews.
- Hosting our 9th Annual Ellison Pierce Symposium, a very successful continuing medical education course on operating room management.
- Our staff presented award winning posters and scientific exhibits at national meetings such as the American Society of Anethesiologists (ASA) and the Post Gradute Assembly in Anesthesia (PGA).
- Dr. Rafael Ortega and Dr. Ruben Azocar were presenting faculty at the World Congress of Anesthesiologists in Buenos Aries, Argentina.
- Our residency program continues to excel with recent graduates being accepted to competitive fellowships or receiving attractive job offers from prestigious practices.
The Department of Anesthesiology remains a strong provider of clinical care as well as a superb educational resource for both medical students and residents.